1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Will I get charged extra at Wirefly for changing Phone number on Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Blammo300, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Blammo300

Blammo300 New Member

Our current Verizon account has 3 phone lines. 2 of the 3 are eligible for a upgrade. However 1 of those 2 is rarely used.

If I order 2 Droids from Wirefly on the phones that are eligible and use one of the Droids for the one phone that is not eligible instead will I be charged extra by Wirefly for making that change.

I called Verizon and they said it wasnt an issue if I ordered thru them but im not sure about wirefly.
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Once you get the Droids it does not matter what number goes on them.
    I do it all the time.
  3. Blammo300

Blammo300 New Member

Thanks for the help. Letstalk told me I couldnt do it but they may just be saying that.
  4. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 New Member

Yes, order them for the two then *228 option 1 to activate it for that number.
  5. Blammo300

Blammo300 New Member

Just curious did you do this through Wirefly. They are telling me on the phone I will be charged $300 for breaking the contract.
    Going to order these phones today so just want to make sure someone else has done it through Wirefly.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 New Member

You have to upgrade the 2 numbers that are eligible and not the other one.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

True, But there is nothing saying you can't swap the devices to a different number on your account.
  8. LtKen

LtKen New Member

This is how I got my Droid. Added a line for my fiancee, bought myself the Droid, and gave her my Blackberry.
  9. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 New Member

Right, but the way he worded it made it sound like he tried upgrading the wrong phone.
  10. fis

fis New Member

Other carriers consider this to be a deactivation. Verizon Wireless does not. You should be fine through Wirefly.
  11. bikedogrun

bikedogrun New Member

I would be VERY careful about doing this with WireFly.

I got my Droid from them and am quite happy with the price ($19.99) but their rules are quite specific. If you upgrade a specific line, you cannot remove the Droid from that line and move it to a different line for the 1st 181 days.

Buying from other re-sellers may be different; it is certainly different if buying from VZ, but those are the rules right now from WireFly.

Best bet may be to get the BOGO (2 for 1) Droid offer directly from VZ. You'd pay $199 total for 2 Droids without the grief regarding switching phones to different lines... dancedroid

/BD :reddroid:
  12. Wirefly

Wirefly New Member

Verizon Wireless does allow this. They do not report it as a deactivation if you purchase from Wirefly then move the phone numbers on a family plan.

The "rules" bikedogrun refers to have been updated fairly recently in an attempt to ease this type of confusion. If Verizon Wireless does not report your services as having been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, then you have nothing to worry about.

You heard it here.
  13. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

What if I add a line?
    For example, my wife and I are on a family share plan. I have a droid, she has a regular phone (no data plan), but we're only 6 months into our 2 year contract. The only way for my wife to get a droid at discounted pricing through Wirefly is to add a third line to our family plan. It's my understanding that the new droid would go on the third line with a data plan. My wife would have a new phone number. Her old number would go unused, but we'd still be paying $9.99 for her old line for the next 18 months.

Verizon could transfer the droid to her current phone line (so she could keep her current number). I know that wouldn't be a problem if we purchased from Verizon, but through wirefly wouldn't I have to continue paying for the data plan on the third line for at least 6 months?
  14. Wirefly

Wirefly New Member

Yes, if you order a new add-a-line with a data plan, and deactivate the line or the data features within six months, then Verizon Wireless would report that to Wirefly as a deactivation.
  15. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same issue as GrillMouster. I added a new line through wirefly and activated a Droid 2 with a data plan just a couple of days ago. So if I wanted to move the droid 2 to my current phone number, and put an old non smartphone onto the new line (canceling the data plan for that #) it would be reported? If so, this is only an issue for the first 6 months, correct? I just dont want to be charged, and im willing to keep the droid 2 on this line for the time being as long as I dont get charged.
  16. Wirefly

Wirefly New Member

If you changed to a non data phone during the first 6 months, the carrier will report this as a deactivation and we will assess the fee for our Instant Savings Discount. If you keep the Droid 2 on the new line and make no changes for the first 6 months, you will be fine.
  17. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

Thank you for directly answering my question. Good to hear it from a wirefly rep. I'll keep the phone and data on this line for the time being then!
  18. Wirefly

Wirefly New Member

You are welcome. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! :)
  19. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

I did have one small question. I'm probably being paranoid, but just in case, if I were to add $5 text message plan to that new line for the time being, that's ok right? I only ask because I'm having my old phone forward all my calls to this new line, and I'll probably have people text me to this new line as well (for the time being atleast). So I can add a texting plan and remove it without any consequences?
  20. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

Ugh one more lol. While rebooting I think I noticed a dead pixel. I tried not to let it get to me but I just kept staring at it! It was like a bluish color. Anyways, is a dead pixel a good reason to get a replacement? I kinda does bother me for some reason, and I know other people have gotten theirs replaced by Verizon as a result. Just wondering what wirefly would do.

Thanks!
Search tags for this page

can i get a phone from wirefly without changing my contract

can u swap phones on the same account with wirefly
do i have to use wirefly to activate phone
if i buy a phone from wirefly will verizon charge me extra

should i use wirefly

swapping equipments within 181 days after upgrading
verizon wirefly activate phone on different line
will wirefly know i deactivate?

wirefly activate upgrade different line

wirefly buddy upgrade