1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Will GMail push without sync on?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by PaulL, Dec 13, 2009.

1. PaulL

PaulL New Member

The only way I get notified that I have a new GMail is when I have sync turned on for my GMail account, with background data and auto sync active.

If I turn sync off (to save the battery), I never receive notice of new emails.

Is there someplace on Google to change my push settings?

I read somewhere that I may need to delete and re-iinstall my Gmail account on the Droid. I'm a bit wary to do that, as everything else on the phone works fine. I don't want to lose anything (contacts, emails, SMSs, etc)
  2. PaulL

PaulL New Member

Does anyone have GMail, and it pushes emails to their phone, WITHOUT having the sync on?
  3. imiller913

imiller913 New Member

I don't think it will work I just tried it and I couldn't get any messages on gmail acct until in turned auto-sync back on.
  4. ToddP0530

ToddP0530 New Member

It will NOT work. You have to have sync on to push. Sync is a connection to the network. It would be like loading outlook to download your email without having an internet connection. Blackberry has push email because it has "sync" or a network connection on.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

More to the point is how much battery do you really think this is saving you? I don't even see it on my list of battery usage so it's got to be under 2%. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Search tags for this page

do i have to have background data on for goodgle calendar to

get email without sync android

if i turn off sync will i still get my gmail?

require auto sync for gmail push

will email still work with sync off