Will games be better with Flash

olletsocmit

Reaction score
hey guys. will they games on the droid be better once adobe releases the flash player for the droid. I had an iPhone and the games on that were way better. more real, more like real video games.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey guys. will they games on the droid be better once adobe releases the flash player for the droid. I had an iPhone and the games on that were way better. more real, more like real video games.

I'm no game developer or flash expert but I don't think flash has anything to do with the games in the market. Potentially it could open up flash games on the browser or offer another way to get games but I don't think it affects the "realness" of games. Remember that the iPhone also does not support flash (as sounds like its not going to for a while). It'll give us a larger variety of games but getting better games depends on the game developers and proper coding.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
unless you want to kick penguins around, then no, flash has nothing to do with game development :)

(unless developers embed a flash video within a game, hmmm)

LordKastle

Reaction score
There are plenty of games online [browser based] that support flash and use that as a foundation to their coding so I'd say yes but not for core downloads in games found in the marketplace.

[On a side not I love when people reference iPhone games and then give an example of a great game that use the "Tilting" function of the phone. Talk about lacking skill and pure trendiness. I am not talking about the author of this thread, I am just saying in general terms.]

boatman2220

Reaction score
Lots of people forget that the IPhone and the Ieverything has been around a lot longer than the Droid or Android. Some people have gotten those devices a year or two ago and to them anything else should be as developed as that. It's like Linux, it's getting more like what more people are used to as the GUI matures. As Android spreads to more phones, more developers will start working on more and better things for us.

skourg3

Reaction score
Android development is done in Java with the Android SDK, so Flash will not affect the games available in the market (or the development of them). It will, however, allow you to play Flash games online (I'm looking forward to some tower defense games, myself).

I don't think you will see a large influx of better Android games until the market expands. Apple developers, particularly game ones, market to the iPod Touch just as much as the iPhone, especially because more kids use the iPod Touch. Without a similar device (in a market segment that Apple has cornered), Android won't have the market base for as many good games, and therefore not as much developer support. Just my opinion, of course.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android development is done in Java with the Android SDK, so Flash will not affect the games available in the market (or the development of them). It will, however, allow you to play Flash games online (I'm looking forward to some tower defense games, myself).

I don't think you will see a large influx of better Android games until the market expands. Apple developers, particularly game ones, market to the iPod Touch just as much as the iPhone, especially because more kids use the iPod Touch. Without a similar device (in a market segment that Apple has cornered), Android won't have the market base for as many good games, and therefore not as much developer support. Just my opinion, of course.

Definitely agreed, I think one thing that people are forgetting is that the app store caters to the ipod touch also, which accessible to many more people/kids. Not every kid is going to have or be able to afford the plan to own a smart phone. If companies start making music players/gaming devices based on android then I think android will see major growth. I'm already starting to see tablet based devices running on android so it might actually happen in the future.

omni

Reaction score
No flash games will ever be as complex as the top 50 or so games on SNES emulator that you can play. They are amazing, and droid seems to be designed to be a perfect platform for it

cookiemomster

Reaction score
I think your real question is when will some better games come out and JonkYu answered well by mentioning the upcoming growth in the Android devices available. I follow newsgroups that show the internet access by different operating systems on mobile phones and android is really starting to make a dent. With this kind of growth it will definitely be in the best interest of developers to begin to switch their attention. Add in the difficulties developers have getting apple approval for their apps compared to their ability to distribute both on and off market for Android and I believe we are set up to have a great couple of years for new content. When all else fails, try abduction the tilt game for android that will consume all your time until then.

JayC707

Reaction score
Lots of people forget that the IPhone and the Ieverything has been around a lot longer than the Droid or Android. Some people have gotten those devices a year or two ago and to them anything else should be as developed as that. It's like Linux, it's getting more like what more people are used to as the GUI matures. As Android spreads to more phones, more developers will start working on more and better things for us.

I think this is a good point. I just switched over after 2.5 years of an iPhone. I did notice that the games are a bit weaker on the graphics right now but this phone has only been out a month and the android 2.0 OS, less than a year? Have to be a little patient.

primodroid

Reaction score

I agree... I have an ipod touch and the games are much better (graphics, game quality). I love my motorola DROID but noticed that most of the paid games are very poor. The free game "jewels" is great! So there is potential but IMO it is not worth buying games just yet.:icon_eek:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those iPhone/iPod Touch type games really kill your battery, so I'm not that upset about the lack of games. I loved playing games on my Touch, but I wouldn't want to do that on a phone that I depend on for communication. Of course I wouldn't mind having the option, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

primodroid

Reaction score
Those iPhone/iPod Touch type games really kill your battery, so I'm not that upset about the lack of games. I loved playing games on my Touch, but I wouldn't want to do that on a phone that I depend on for communication. Of course I wouldn't mind having the option, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Lol! TRUE! At least the DROID has a replaceable battery..unlike the iphone/itouch which only last me a year with heavy use.