will fascinate work outside US?

autopilotjesse

Reaction score
i read this "Unfortunately this isn’t a so-called World Phone, so there’s no GSM or UMTS for voice or data use outside of North America."

I go to Korea and Japan often where they have a totally different network than the rest of the world. It's a 3g type network only, and only some phones will work. My Tmobile Touch Pro 2 will work there, but was wondering if the Samsung Fascinate will work. It will be a deal breaker for me.

thanks!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No the Fascinate is a CDMA phone. I think you will need a GSM phone to work in Korea and Japan. All Verizon phones will be CDMA unless listed as a World Phone, then they will be CDMA/GSM compatible.

If you want an Android World phone, the Droid line is soon to get a World Phone edition if you are willing to wait a month or two.

OP
A

autopilotjesse

Reaction score
but verizon said that CDMA is what they use, which is not used in europe. but korea and japan it will work they said.

International Roaming

thats a link they gave me that said the phone will work in.
im currently a tmobile customer and they said their phones are GSM. so the Samsung on THEIR network will work in the opposite countries.

is there a way to unlock the verizon fascinate to work in gsm networks as well? i know tmobile has some sort of unlock code they give to allow sim cards in other countries.

i read this Samsung Vibrant Unlocked
and thought you could unlock the samsung on verizon.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok I stand corrected. If they use a CDMA network you are good to go. As far as unlocking to use on a GSM network, can't happen. CDMA doesn't use SIM cards the two techs aren't cmopatible at all. You can unlock a phone to go from one GSM service to another ie. T-mobile to ATT and vice versa.
So if according to VZW you can use the fascinate in those countries I would say you're good to go.

OP
A

autopilotjesse

Reaction score
thanks for you feedback

do you know if tmobile is supposed to get this droid global phone? tmobiles phones have always been subpar to verizon, so i was going to do the switch, but i can't if the phones i wan't arent compatible with most of the world!