Will factory data reset lose root on GB?

andiguy

Reaction score
I'm successfully on 4.1.2 JB having kept root with ota rootkeeper. Will I keep or lose root if I do a factory data reset in stock recovery?

OP
A

andiguy

Reaction score
The root exploit on JB is complicated and requires a computer running linux. I just want to know if FDR will lose root on JB.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Factory data reset should never remove root as it does not touch files/folders where su and superuser.apk sit. It only wipes user configurations out (user downloaded apps, user settings/accounts/etc). It does not touch /system/app or /system/bin.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

andiguy

Reaction score
Well, went ahead and did FDR. Lost root. Guess I'll update my Ubuntu flash drive and try to root again.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Well, went ahead and did FDR. Lost root. Guess I'll update my Ubuntu flash drive and try to root again.
Then something was wrong with your root install. FDR does not and cannot remove root if root is installed properly.

FDR doesn't replace any system files, doesn't touch any file that a non-rooted user can't access (/system/app and /system/bin non-rooted users can't touch) and just reset user configurations and user downloaded/installed apps.

OP
A

andiguy

Reaction score
I'm sure there was nothing wrong with my root install. Every app requiring root worked perfectly, Root Explorer, OTA Rootkeeper, SQLite, TiBu, etc. I wasn't sure what to do after the FDR, but I did update Superuser in Play before testing root. I see that my permissions are wrong on Superuser (in /system/app), but I can't change them without root. Tried the updater and updated binaries, but no joy. Can't restore anything in TiBu without root. Now, I'll have to figure out the Linux root process.

Calla969

Reaction score
I lost root after a FDR too. I had successfully updated and retained root with OTA Rootkeeper then lost root on the stock ROM. Strange thing is that I still have SafeStrap recovery installed and am still rooted on my LiquidSmooth ROM.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Factory resets CAN cause loss of root. It is not uncommon for the manufacturer to put a .zip of all the /system partition and wipe/restore that when you do a factory reset.