Will DROID 3 ever get ice sandwich?????

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I don't expect ICS for D3 for sometime. With the D4 coming MOTO will wanna show off that phone with all the bells and whistles. I expect the D3 to get ICS by summer of next year. I hope I'm wrong.

I think its a given that the D4 will come with ICS and that without any major work to port ICS to the d3, it will still take the better part of the year to get it deployed by Moto and Verizon. So your prediction of summer might just be a bit optimistic, but I'd bet you're not far from the mark.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Thats because its Alpha stage right now. He has been making great progress with it. Just a few more tweaks and it will most likely be better then what Moto/Verizon puts out.

I've been using it on the Gnex I mean.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I was JUST going to make a new thread asking this same question! So in general you guys think that us D3 owners will eventually get ICS ota? Is there any other ota updates on track or expected for the D3? The last one seemed to fix any issues so I don't know what else they could do to the phone before ics...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spillner

Reaction score
you are, hashcode saved us all. The only issues [that will actually take time to solve] are the camera, a few audio codecs, and the 'b' key. ima say it will probably be daily driver by christmas. every 2-3 days hes fixed a new major bug. hes a genius !

Thats good in all but not everyone is rooted.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The phone will get it. I cant see why it wouldn't. The phones barely 4months old. It will get it, eventually at least.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Motorola's ICS will probably have Motoblur and a bunch of bloatware.

This is true but, when an official build of ICS is released then there can also be other forms of AOSP based ICS. HashCode is working hard on CM9 as well is Woody working on DC ICS .....

patfactorx

Reaction score
There are few minor bugs that will be fixed in the next update. You nexus owners have 4.0.3 yet?

I think ICS will be better with capacitive buttons. I really HATE the onscreen buttons because it makes everything take twice as long and it eliminates a lot of my shortcuts.

jjhiza

Reaction score
ICS is great with capacitive buttons actually. I personally like hardware buttons, and a keyboard, and while the new UI does take some getting used to, it's really a joy to use. Any of you with rooted phones, should definitely check to see if a CM9 build is available for your device! For everyone waiting and hoping that the D3 gets an ICS OTA, prepare to be patient... I was confident that CM9 would drop before Christmas, and it did, but I'm not confident that the D3 will get the OTA by Easter even... With the D4 coming, the Razr and the Bionic out, I speculate that the D3 will be last on that list to get the update. It really sucks, because the D3 is a fantastic device, but think about this... how do you really think ICS will play with Blur? If the OTA comes, it's not going to be the AOSP version... it's going to be a mashed up, convoluted version, that may never work the way any of you want it to. Just a thought... :-/

D3 CM9. Alpha 1

shanshor

Reaction score
Is the current ICS Alpha stable enough for a daily driver, and can we still sbf if need be once we flash ics?

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
There's no camera, Gtalk, physical "b" button and a few other issues still I used it yesterday and today, soon as the camera is fixed/working I will use it daily.

jjhiza

Reaction score
Yeah, aside from the camera, and Talk, this is pretty nice. I don't use either one, so CM9 is my daily driver at the moment. And if you install using Safestrap, you won't need to sbf anything... :)

D3 CM9 Alpha 1

shanshor

Reaction score
So I have CM7 installed right now. to install ics, I just flash it on safe mode in safestrap without ever touching the unsafe portion?

jjhiza

Reaction score
So I have CM7 installed right now. to install ics, I just flash it on safe mode in safestrap without ever touching the unsafe portion?

If you have Safestrap downloaded already, go into it and install the recovery. Uninstall any other recovery (Bootstrap) that you might have, in order to avoid potential issues. Download the latest CM9 build (Alpha 1 comes with G-apps, so you won't need them). Reboot your phone, and hit the menu button when the Safestrap screen comes up. Do a backup of your current (Non-safe) system, both internal and external, then toggle into Safe mode. In Safe mode, do a data and cache wipe, then flash your CM9 zip, and reboot. To bypass the Safestrap splash screen and continue booting, just hit the searches button when the screen comes up. The first boot will take close to 3 or 4 minutes, but once you get everything set up, you'll be good to go! And if you want to go back to your previous ROM, just toggle Safe system off in the recovery menu, and reboot! Hope this helps. :)

D3 CM9 Alpha 1