Will Droid 2 get gingerbread?

trickrais

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got a free D2 upgrade from my OG Droid on Verizon, and I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Am I screwed for updates now because of the release of the Droid 2 Global?

and

2) If I will get updates, can anyone tell me if I will be able to get Gingerbread?

also

3) I rooted a couple weeks back, but I noticed that there aren't nearly as many roms as there are for the Original Droid and I was wondering how to go about flashing roms on the D2? I heard something about "bootstrapping" but I honestly don't know what that means...(I was used to being rooted on the D1 and only having to press install rom on ROMManager)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got a free D2 upgrade from my OG Droid on Verizon, and I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Am I screwed for updates now because of the release of the Droid 2 Global?

Not at all.

and

2) If I will get updates, can anyone tell me if I will be able to get Gingerbread?

Yes, definitely

also

3) I rooted a couple weeks back, but I noticed that there aren't nearly as many roms as there are for the Original Droid and I was wondering how to go about flashing roms on the D2? I heard something about "bootstrapping" but I honestly don't know what that means...(I was used to being rooted on the D1 and only having to press install rom on ROMManager)

The bootloader has not been cracked on the X or the D2 and quite honestly I don't know if it will be. So in order to install these ROMs you to do the bootstrapping. I haven't done it myself, I believe it involves entering some commands in terminal emulator, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am rooted but I don't run custom ROMs, I rooted to remove bloatware and to overclock and take advantage of the many apps that are available for rooted phones only.

One thing you should be aware of if you want Gingerbread you will have to go back to stock or at least reinstall the bloatware you've removed from your D2 or the update will not work.

Dustin.

Reaction score
The bootloader has not been cracked on the X or the D2 and quite honestly I don't know if it will be. So in order to install these ROMs you to do the bootstrapping. I haven't done it myself, I believe it involves entering some commands in terminal emulator, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just some clarification for ya hook, when you "Bootstrap Recovery" you install CWM and force the phone to boot into ClockWork Recovery instead of stock Android Recovery.

It's an App called Koush's D2 Bootstrapper you can pick up in the Market for 2.00$ worth every penny!

Just download that, click "Bootstrap Recovery", then "Reboot Recovery" and your good to go!

D

dankarlinski

the bootrapper is def. worth the money. as for gingerbread, i think its pretty much certan that the d2 will still be getting at least 2.3. it is still a very popular phone, and quite frankly, isnt too much different from the global. i wouldnt worry about not getting it.

OP
T

trickrais

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the clarification guys, very much appreciated!

MrKleen

Reaction score
Of course the D2 will continue to get updates!

For everything rom related go to the rom section and read the "rom install class" thread. That will help you with everything you need to know. Working with the D2 is very different than it was on the D1.

Enjoy your new phone!

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yes all phones will get it for sure.....don't go downloading bootstrap without researching how to use it and all that bc you will get lost with it quick and mess some stuff up.....and of coures I recommend squidlys roms

Using TapaTalk Damnit!!!

lpulle

Reaction score
I downloaded BS when I rooted using Z4ROOT. Will I have to uninstall when WE up date?

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
If your asking about when WE all do to gingerbread then yes we will all have to unroot bc they will have to figure out how to reroot and all that good stuff after the update

Using TapaTalk Damnit!!!

swagmonster

Reaction score
Koush is giving his bootstrap app to everyone fore free on his website, he's just asking tht some donate to help the cause,

Droid 2
Squidlies Rom
ADW faded theme
oc-1.39

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You will have to reroot but you won't have to uninstall bootstrap or cm recovery. At least I don't think so. I did the last update with cm recovery bootstrapped no problems.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

j1999t

Reaction score
i am looking to update to the leaked gingerbread ROM, but my biggest concern is data, with using the bootstrap, and successfully completing the update the first time, will i lose my data? (not a huge deal, just a lot of apps... titanium backup?) thanks

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
i am looking to update to the leaked gingerbread ROM, but my biggest concern is data, with using the bootstrap, and successfully completing the update the first time, will i lose my data? (not a huge deal, just a lot of apps... titanium backup?) thanks

Assuming you have to wipe data/factory reset in clockwork before flashing the rom, which is about 99.9% of the time, yes you will loose everything, and yes thats what Titanium Backup is for. It is a must have app for everyone imo(well assuming your willing to root your phone). :) You need the unlock key do back up all your apps at once but it is well worth it imo! It is one of my most used apps.

j1999t

Reaction score
Assuming you have to wipe data/factory reset in clockwork before flashing the rom, which is about 99.9% of the time, yes you will loose everything, and yes thats what Titanium Backup is for. It is a must have app for everyone imo(well assuming your willing to root your phone). :) You need the unlock key do back up all your apps at once but it is well worth it imo! It is one of my most used apps.

my biggest worry is that i would brick my phone, and i cant afford to get another phone... (i know its a long shot, but i still would be screwed)

tb110895

Reaction score

my biggest worry is that i would brick my phone, and i cant afford to get another phone... (i know its a long shot, but i still would be screwed)

It is scary to flash a ROM for the first time, so if you're unsure about it I would read up on it. When you feel you are ready to flash a ROM
1) Back up all user apps+data in titanium backup
2) If you want your SMS get SMS backup on the market and back those up too.
3) Wipe cache and data in bootstrapper and install the .zip
4) Wait for you apps to auto restore from the market then restore data with titanium.
Its that easy. You can also make a backup of your motoblur stock ROM that comes with the phone but I didn't because you gonna have to sbf to get back to froyo anyway and it cleans out all the cobwebs and you get a fresh, stock start