Will changing lcd density effect performance, battery life?

Discussion in 'Liberty ROM D2' started by Cstryon, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

I want to have a higher resolution but not sure what effect on performance lcd density will have.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  2. Pixelion

Pixelion New Member

I would not mess with that particular setting

I don't know for sure what it does but I've seen threads around here where people have lowered it and encountered problems like text overlapping and icons not fitting their home screen...
  3. Brennan_Huber

Brennan_Huber Theme Developer Theme Developer

I messed around with it one day, and the only thing that appeared to happen was the screen was like zoomed in more, which would cause the text to be closer causing overlapping.
    No help on battery life. Sorry

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
  4. rudydroid

rudydroid New Member

yes, I used liberty toolbox to up the density and some icons overlapped, but performance was not affected; just looked funny.

rooted, on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd
  5. Raziel36

Raziel36 New Member

[​IMG]

No adverse effects.. just a visual preference. Like 800×600 versus 1280x1024 or whatever on a PC. Mine is set to 180.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  6. Raziel36

Raziel36 New Member

Lowering the density is generally what's done, unless you're blind as a bat without sonar... if you want the icons to be bigger, you must be crazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  7. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

Thanks guys, ill make small changes. Lowering is what I want

8. jocko1

jocko1 New Member

I dunno, I'm kinda pissed I messed with mine. Even after attempting to change it back to the stock setting, certain widgets and things still aren't appearing correctly. For example, the SetCPU widgets battery temp is still being cutoff. Also, in the pulldown menu, the bottom half of the third line of text for the Pandora app.
    If somebody can please tell me how to fix this, the help would be immensly helpful! Its driving me insane!
  9. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

Will I lowered the density, and experienced no performance loss.everything looked fine except I didn't like how the rotating lock screen doesn't look right. The bow touches the left side but didn't reach over to the right. Changed it back to stock with no problem.

10. jocko1

jocko1 New Member

Well what the heck! I changed mine back to stock and am expieeiencing a few very annoying aesthetic problems.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  11. Pixelion

Pixelion New Member

jocko,

If you are using some kind of custom launcher over your stock liberty launcher this could be the problem. It seems to change the LCD density in those launchers too.
  12. mingaldrichgan

mingaldrichgan New Member

Shouldn't setting the value back to stock undo those changes, though?
  13. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 New Member

Hey Cstryon,

Basically, the default DPI (LCD Density) for our devices is 240 DPI. If you lower the DPI (say to 192) it will give the appearance of a higher resolution screen and everything on your phone will look smaller. However, if you choose a higher DPI (say 280) it will give the appearance of a lower resolution screen and everything on your phone will look bigger. I would not recommend going higher than the default 240 as everything appears too large and stuff like text will start on overlap. I also would not recommend going below 192, however, it is a personal preference as too how low you want to go. The beauty of a rooted Android. :)

Also, it should be noted that a lower DPI (like 192) should slightly increase both the phone's performance and the battery life as the phone has to render/process less dots. (DPI stands for "dots per inch") Give it a try and see what you think.

If you are newer to rooting/modifying/programming phones I would recommend you stick with modifying the DPI through the Liberty Toolbox by going to "Liberty Mods," "Build Properties," "LCD Density," and then selecting the DPI you would like to try. Then as you become more experienced you can make those changes by manually editing the build.prop file. :) (No offense intended by the way if you are indeed experienced.)

Finally, if you do indeed choose a lower DPI make sure you open up Spare Parts through "Settings," "Liberty Settings" and uncheck the "Compatibility Mode" box at the bottom of the options menu. This little trick will prevent apps that are incompatible with lower DPIs from appearing small on your screen. After this little trick and a reboot they will appear full screen.
  14. mingaldrichgan

mingaldrichgan New Member

Are you sure that's right? I'm asking as someone who doesn't know the right answer but is trying to think this through logically. If the LCD Density value indeed corresponds to the number of dots-per-inch, then higher numbers should in fact correspond to higher resolutions. The fact that it is the other way around makes me think that LCD Density actually means something else...
  15. mrpotatohead99

Yes. LCD Density does indeed refer to the DPI. And I know it sounds backwards, but a lower DPI value does indeed give the appearance of a higher resolution.
  16. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

Thanks mrpotatohead! I'm gonna try lowering tonight, take off compatibility mode and see what my battery life is like tomorrow. (all day 12 hour shift with pandora streaming) Of course, I'll only keep it if it looks good.

17. mrpotatohead99

Any time! Let me know how it goes!
  18. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

Ok done setting up. Now to pay attention to performance and battery life. I like simple, how does it look?

Attached Files:

19. mrpotatohead99

I like a lot sir! What theme are you using?! And I take back my previous statement. I am not using 192 DPI. I am using 190 DPI and it looks great! :) I love being able to see more on my screen at a time. Especially, when browsing contacts, reading emails, and surfing the web. Keep me posted on your experience.
  20. Cstryon

Cstryon Member

Oreo slice, and yorks black theme for adw. Good mix I think. Laid yorks black on first, then let oreo slice fill in the blanks. I'm set at 200 by the way.
    I will keep you all informed! :)

Search tags for this page
android lcd density

does dpi affect performance

dpi performance android
effect of change of dpi in android
galaxy s3 default lcd density

lcd density

lcd density battery life

lcd density galaxy s3

lcd density performance