Will android 2.1 bring pinch to zoom for all native programs on Motorola Droid?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not sure.

Hackers did manage to port over the euro version of the Droid though, which is capable of pinch-zoom. So you can flash that onto your Droid, if you want.

Xerozix

Reaction score
The thing is, if both were capable, we'd all be happy.

I need to get a matte screen protector, the screen already sticks to my finger enough, especially after I wash my hands.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

lol, nope there is always something to complain about. Heck if you hold your phone at a 45 degree angle on Mt Everest at 5:39 pm you will see light leaking from the right hand corner of the phone.....that type of stuff.:biggrin:

JayMonster

Reaction score

lol, nope there is always something to complain about. Heck if you hold your phone at a 45 degree angle on Mt Everest at 5:39 pm you will see light leaking from the right hand corner of the phone.....that type of stuff.:biggrin:

+1 Plus the second the Droid gets it, then all the whiny will become "it is just an Apple copycat"

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Android 2.0 is fully capable of allowing pinch zoom of all native apps including google maps, they just chose not to allow it in the American verison of the Droid (as has been mentioned the European version called the Milestone already has it). Currently Apple is suing Palm for using pinch-zoom. I'm guessing that depending on how that comes out will decide if the Droid gets it as well. Either that or perhaps if enough of us complain loudly enough to Google. :)

myriad46

Reaction score
...honestly, its kind of annoying having to manipulate my hands as much as I do to scroll and type, and pinch zoom would just make it worse. I am used to using a stylus, where, ultimately I had to move my hand very little.

Everyone is so hyped over touchscreen technology. Just wait until you have to walk up to your 75" flat panel and swing your arms around to get it to scroll through the guide. How is that easier than pushing a button on a remote?

Sometimes newer technology isn't better. Can you see CAD operators moving their arms around in their cubicles to move their 3D rendered designs, rather than dragging a slider with mouse?

Sorry for the tangent, but I agree, Pinch-Zoom is not necessary, at all.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the Nexus One isn't getting multi touch, the Droid certainly won't get it with the 2.1 update.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Sorry for the tangent, but I agree, Pinch-Zoom is not necessary, at all.

Of course it's not necessary, but part of the reason for Android is all about "options". Plus if the hardware supports it, the Euro Models do it, then it is not unreasonable for some people to want or wish the Droid did it also.

Personally I don't like Pinch and zoom, but I do like options.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like options as well.

The only thing I like about p&Z was that you can control the screen, ie: close together links can be zoomed in on by moving only one finger.

It's nice, but not a necessity.

The larger question besides just a zoom feature is what else could be done with multi that we haven't yet seen?

JayMonster

Reaction score
The larger question besides just a zoom feature is what else could be done with multi that we haven't yet seen?

Well, actually since Multi-Touch is actually enabled on the device itself some applications are already starting to show this functionality, and others I am sure are in development, so we really aren't losing out (except in the browser) from the lack of support from the base apps.