Will a hard reset speed up my Droid???

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Noticed it is getting quite laggy and buggy lately. I naturally went app crazy when I first got it back in December. I have since got rid of most of what I don't need. But I was wondering if starting fresh and only installing what I really want and need would bring the zing back???

Also in regards to the SD card. What can be deleted and what needs to stay???

nooter99

Reaction score
I had the same issue recently, started getting laggy after the 2.1 update. Was suggested to me on this forum do a battery pull, seemed to help quite a bit, give it a try, can't hurt.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Noticed it is getting quite laggy and buggy lately. I naturally went app crazy when I first got it back in December. I have since got rid of most of what I don't need. But I was wondering if starting fresh and only installing what I really want and need would bring the zing back???

You don't want to do a hard reset. Do a factory reset from the privacy section. Hard reset and you will have to go get all your apps back. From the privacy section they'll be sitting in your downloads after you get done.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

You don't want to do a hard reset. Do a factory reset from the privacy section. Hard reset and you will have to go get all your apps back. From the privacy section they'll be sitting in your downloads after you get done.

Would that matter even if I have already backed my apps up to Astro???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Backing up your apps to Astro is fine, but you won't get updates from the backed up apps. And really for what you're looking for the soft factory data reset is all you need.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Backing up your apps to Astro is fine, but you won't get updates from the backed up apps. And really for what you're looking for the soft factory data reset is all you need.

So it will clear away all of the "junk" that may have accumulated?? Another reason I want to do this is hopefully I will get back the ability to send MMS's. And what about the SD card?? Anything that can be deleted that won't affect the phone.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Backing up your apps to Astro is fine, but you won't get updates from the backed up apps. And really for what you're looking for the soft factory dat

So it will clear away all of the "junk" that may have accumulated?? Another reason I want to do this is hopefully I will get back the ability to send MMS's. And what about the SD card?? Anything that can be deleted that won't affect the phone.

From what I understands a soft reset like hook said will clear out all the cache, which is most likely the cause of the lag.

I have no idea about your mms.

Some apps store info on your sdcard, so check to make sure you don't delete any folders created by the apps you are still using. Anything else should be fine to delete.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It won't delete anything on the SD card. It will clear all your data so it will be just like when you first got your phone. You'll have to sign into gmail, google voice, facebook, etc. Many people have done this successfully to speed up a lagging Droid.

I've had to do it once because it was the only way I could figure out how to get my voice capabilities back. If you can't send MMS then by all means try it.

You may want to pull the battery first as someone else suggested. That might help and can't hurt. If you do pull the battery make sure you have it out for at least 30 seconds to allow time for the capacitors to discharge.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Backing up your apps to Astro is fine, but you won't get updates from the backed up apps. And really for what you're looking for the soft factory dat

From what I understands a soft reset like hook said will clear out all the cache, which is most likely the cause of the lag.

I have no idea about your mms.

Some apps store info on your sdcard, so check to make sure you don't delete any folders created by the apps you are still using. Anything else should be fine to delete.

FWIW there is an app that will clear the cache but you have to do it one at a time and it's a PIA. Just giving all options.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

It won't delete anything on the SD card. It will clear all your data so it will be just like when you first got your phone. You'll have to sign into gmail, google voice, facebook, etc. Many people have done this successfully to speed up a lagging Droid.

I've had to do it once because it was the only way I could figure out how to get my voice capabilities back. If you can't send MMS then by all means try it.

You may want to pull the battery first as someone else suggested. That might help and can't hurt. If you do pull the battery make sure you have it out for at least 30 seconds to allow time for the capacitors to discharge.

Thanks guys. Gonna give the battery pull a try. If not I'll do a soft reset.

xiixmmiii

Reaction score
before i do a factory reset should i check the box "back up my settings" above it? & where will i find all my apps after the factory rest?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
before i do a factory reset should i check the box "back up my settings" above it? & where will i find all my apps after the factory rest?

Be prepared to freak out cuzz you think you lost all yer sh!$%... sign in to google and sync to get your contacts back... go to the market and hit menu/downloads to get your apps back... astro only backs up some of the apps.. and market/downloads may not show all of them either... it's good to have a list... most of the paid ones should show as "purchased" and you can just re-download...

I do the battery pull while I'm in the shower and leave it out for awhile like someone said to deplete the capasitors... then go to settings/applications/manage applications/menu/filter/all/menu/sort by size... this lists all the apps with the big memory hogs at the top... and go thru all of them and clear cache one at a time...

Makes my droid fly like the wind

Last edited:

xiixmmiii

Reaction score
ok so should i check back up my settings b4 doing the factory reset?....& all my apps might not be in my downloads after?