Will 4G phones Require 4G Service

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Manigma77, Jan 5, 2011.

1. nan2825

nan2825 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the evo 4g through Sprint & they charged me $10 extra each month for 4g service I don't have in my area simply because the device was 4g capable. So I was paying $40 a month for data..per line since my husband had the epic.

Sent from my DROIDX

2. texstar420

texstar420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that just stinks and I hope this representative I talked to was right. I think it is a bit early to make any really assumptions so we will all have to stay hopeful that we won't get charged.

3. corman324

corman324 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Sh*t, ill pay an extra 10$ a month to have a 4G phone, especially if its got an unlocked bootloader (high hopes lol) better than paying an arm and a leg for tiered 4G data (as i initially heard it was going to be) and not being able to get an unlimited plan

4. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm guesting they will charge more. Its not like verizon (or any company) to develop some big great thing, and then say, "Added bonus... We're giving it to you for freeeeeeeee!!!"

(from Beka's DX)

5. corman324

corman324 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    speakin the truth girl! especially verizon...rapists

6. motoconvert

motoconvert Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tell ya...I'm happy that I haven't upgraded yet...have been tempted to do an early upgrade to a DX...but my OG Droid is still rockin! Excited by new things to come...:icon_ banana:

7. Tillyswilly

Tillyswilly Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i heard the same thing as Texstar did from a rep in the store he told me also there would be NO extra charge for the 4g phone service when they come out and that they where shooting for 2013 for nation wide 4g now thats just what I was told take that as you will just passing the info along

8. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The truth is, reps can tell you anything they want right now. They don't know too much more than the general public does, and what they do know is so fragmented (I work in retail, I know how the info trickles down).

When you (the customer) are so excited and you walk into VZW with the upgrade you've been anxiously "holding in your hand" for six months, to pick up one of these new beasts of a phone you've had your eye on... and then the rep says, "Oh, by the way, your plan is going to increase by "X" number of dollars..." more than likely, you'll do it.

I'm not sure if Verizon is revealing any new, 3G only phones this week. The current lineup of phones are "expiring" in March, or around then, if they don't release more 3Gs, eventually 4G will be your only option and that's when we are all standing over that great big proverbial "barrel"...

I hope VZW proves me wrong... I hate paying unnecessary money for something I consider an "extra" like my cell phone.

9. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I hope so too! At least not too outrageous! Sprint's 4G is $10 more which isn't bad but still...$40 a month for data? Getting a lil crazy there!

DroidForums Junkie!!

10. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are all sorts of rumors out there and what you listen to is up to you. However, VZW has yet to officially announce how 4G data plans will work or even if the 4G data plans will be separate/additional.

Search tags for this page
3g service on a 4g phone
4g phone with 3g service

do 4g phones require 4g plan

do i have to pay for 4g service
do verizon 4g phones need 4g data package
do you need a 4g plan for a 4g phone
does it cost more for 4g service
does verizon 4g service cost more

does verizon charge more for 4g service

is a data plan required for 4g phones