Will 4G phones Require 4G Service

Manigma77

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a dx from my d1. I love the phone but all this buzz about the new phones is making me wonder if I made a mistake. I do not want to pay for the 4G service right now but I do want the dual processor and memory on these new phones. So, my question is, can I get a 4g phone with 3g service and keep my current data plan????

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No they will work on 3g and 1x also

OP
Manigma77

Manigma77

Reaction score
No they will work on 3g and 1x also

I understand it will work, but will verizon make you upgrade your data plan, kinda like you can't have a smartphone without a data plan?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Most likely Verizon will require you get a 4g plan. Whether how much that 4g plan is, i don't know.

The way I see it is, they already require you get a data plan when buying a smartphone. If you're getting a smartphone that's capable of 4g then I would think they'd require you to get a 4g plan.

Last edited:

GDP

Reaction score
It might be like their current 4g mobile broadband plans that they have right now. You will probably be required to get one, but they might start out at 20 dollars though if we're lucky. Doubtful, but possible

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. Do you think that Verizon will force the customer to pay more than what they agreed for?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is an interesting topic. Do you think that Verizon will force the customer to pay more than what they agreed for?

Wrong, when getting a new device, Verizon goes over the pricing before customer agreement. Remember when you bought your Droid and they said a data plan is required, then spoke price and blah blah. I think the process would be for the LTE phones.

Couple months ago I gave my original droid to a sibling and they let us know that a data plan would have to be added since it's just switching lines. We agreed and signed the paper fully knowing what we were paying for.

texstar420

Reaction score
Hello all. I thought I would share some information about this topic that I got from a Verizon representative today. They told me that you will not have to pay for 4G service if you have a 4G phone because that is what the phone is made for. I asked again to confirm if there will be charges to get 4G access and she said no charge. So we will see what happens. But if you look at what sprint is doing with they 4G, they don't charge for 4G it is only available in certain areas.

My guess is that Big Red will do something similar. Hope this helps everybody! This is a very exciting time for us OG droid users that have had our phones since Nov 09. I feel like I will take my time and what to see what the best phone for me will be. Options are always good.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. When is this change will take effect?

texstar420

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. When is this change will take effect?

Please don't quote me but I think she said sometime in quarter 2. But think about it, Verizon 4G is already available in some cities. So it seems that we are just waiting for the phones.
Oh and I can't wait. I must say I would like to have a super dual core phone with a qwerty keyboard but if not a unlocked bootloader would be nice.

nan2825

Reaction score
Hello all. I thought I would share some information about this topic that I got from a Verizon representative today. They told me that you will not have to pay for 4G service if you have a 4G phone because that is what the phone is made for. I asked again to confirm if there will be charges to get 4G access and she said no charge. So we will see what happens. But if you look at what sprint is doing with they 4G, they don't charge for 4G it is only available in certain areas.

My guess is that Big Red will do something similar. Hope this helps everybody! This is a very exciting time for us OG droid users that have had our phones since Nov 09. I feel like I will take my time and what to see what the best phone for me will be. Options are always good.

I had the evo 4g through Sprint & they charged me $10 extra each month for 4g service I don't have in my area simply because the device was 4g capable. So I was paying $40 a month for data..per line since my husband had the epic.

Sent from my DROIDX

texstar420

Reaction score

I had the evo 4g through Sprint & they charged me $10 extra each month for 4g service I don't have in my area simply because the device was 4g capable. So I was paying $40 a month for data..per line since my husband had the epic.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well that just stinks and I hope this representative I talked to was right. I think it is a bit early to make any really assumptions so we will all have to stay hopeful that we won't get charged.

corman324

Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX

Sh*t, ill pay an extra 10$ a month to have a 4G phone, especially if its got an unlocked bootloader (high hopes lol) better than paying an arm and a leg for tiered 4G data (as i initially heard it was going to be) and not being able to get an unlimited plan