Wifi

vandyike

Reaction score
I have had my phone since Jan and have had problems with wifi working on public networks. Works fine at home where I am near the router. Was going to return it after 2 occassions where wifi was my only option. Decided to wait to see if 2.1 offered any improvements. No go. Would rooting improve it? Would Verizon replace without big hassle or should I dunk it since there is insurance?

MrTommy

Reaction score
What kind of problems?

If it works fine at home, sounds like the WiFi is working. How many public WiFi spots have you tried? And what happens?

So far, I've used mine in a number of places, and if the system is "open", I can hook up.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have had my phone since Jan and have had problems with wifi working on public networks. Works fine at home where I am near the router. Was going to return it after 2 occassions where wifi was my only option. Decided to wait to see if 2.1 offered any improvements. No go. Would rooting improve it? Would Verizon replace without big hassle or should I dunk it since there is insurance?

Rooting probably would not improve it. I'd guess the verizon stores could probably test out the wifi in their store and give you another phone if there is an issue with it.

Are you asking us if you should commit insurance fraud by dunking your phone to get a new one?

OP
V

vandyike

Reaction score
Have tried 2 Starbucks, 4 different motels, 3 open airports,hospital. On some occasions it does pick up but most apps fail-no connection. Only the 2 occasions presented problems but it should work. Never dunk for this cause sometime I'll really need a new one.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that many "Free" wifi spots seem to be crippled. For example, in Borders and Barnes & Noble, I can't access my Amazon app or Shop Savvy (network error). When I'm on 3G they come up right away. Those I can understand as you'd be comparing prices, but Bettr Flickr doesn't work either. Or Speed Test. At McDonald's their "free" AT&T wifi won't let me access the Market.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Yeah, I think "Free" WiFi has a ways to go before it works as advertised. I have the same problems when I try some of these "Hot Spots". Good thing my life doesn't depend on it...!