WiFi

tjs

Reaction score
If you have WiFi working in your home, does it automatically switch to 3g when you are out of your WiFi range and then switch back when come within range again?

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
If you have WiFi working in your home, does it automatically switch to 3g when you are out of your WiFi range and then switch back when come within range again?

Yes.

You can turn the WiFi option off in order to conserve your battery though when you know you will be out of range.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes. If have have WIFI enabled. Just go about your business. When the device loses or leaves the WIFI network. It will go back to 3G automatically :)

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Does the WiFi use alot more battery power than 3g ?

Honestly not sure, but I see it mentioned as something that can run the battery down more quickly. I'm not the most technical gal around here! Hopefully one of the techie types can give you a better answer!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Some say Yes due to the increased bandwidth that it pulls, others say no....

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Some say Yes due to the increased bandwidth that it pulls, others say no....

FWIW I use WIFI all day and night. I came in this morning at 100% charged. I have 40% left and have gotten about 100 emails countless gtalk and random calls..say 10. So I think that may be a "urban legend"

Berzerker

Reaction score
The answer is, yes and no.

Sitting around doing nothing, WiFi uses more battery power than 3G when inactive. This is why the Droid shuts off WiFi if sleeping for > 5 minutes.

However, with constant data streams, WiFi actually uses somewhere between 20-40% (I forget the actual number) less battery than the 3G radio with downloading.

justauser

Reaction score
Good about battery use

I've noticed that the phone seems to do a good job of conserving power and handling the switch automatically. One day I forgot to turn wifi off and ran all day and barely noticed the difference in drain. of course, it depends on what you are doing, as WiFi does use more power, but give it a try.