WiFi

BSouders80

Reaction score
So I'm really happy with the Droid X. One problem. When I'm at my home, I'm on the Verizon extended network and I have 0 to 1 bars of service. My calls are flaky. I'm stuck to texting mostly. I had the same issue with Alltel back in the day.

Now.. I have great WiFi. I would like to figure out a way to call over the wifi and receive calls over wifi.

I wouldn't mind paying a SMALL fee a month for this service. Damn iphone lets you use Skype over wifi. Verizon skype is only over 3G.

I've played around with Sipdroid and Google Callback, but not sure if that's the best route to go.

Is there a FREE way to do it? Like I said, I'll pay but prefer to figure out a workaround.

Brian

OP
B

BSouders80

Reaction score
But does skype work on droid x over wifi? Im rooted with custom rom?

milimar

Reaction score
Thought I was on wifi didn't realize about Verizon.

milimar

milimar

Reaction score
Well your right just tried it and only on 3g stupid!

milimar

kevinkar

Reaction score
There are TWO Skype apps.

One is Skype Mobile which will only connect on 3G and use minutes from whatever plan you have as well as count against your data usage I believe.

The other is basically the FULL Skype for Android which WILL connect over Wi-Fi and not count against your minutes nor will it count against your data usage. I have tried it and it works very well; the call quality is as good as that on the phone. You can find it in the Market.

So, you have choices but you have to have both apps in order to choose.