WIFI wont stay on.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Darryll83, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Darryll83

Darryll83 New Member

Can anybody tell me why my WiFi refuses to turn on? Since rooting my phone I have yet to be able to connect to any wifi network secured or not. I have run CM7, UD3.3, BB, LGB 2.0 and now SS 5.4 and the same thing happens when I turn on the wifi, it'll turn on, recoginize the network, attempt to obtain am IP address and then automatically turn off.. a feel a little more like Sisyphus each time I try turning it on..

Any recommendations?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. kmagameguy

kmagameguy New Member

Have you tried unrooting and seeing if the problem persists? I've only seen this once or twice before but it was usually resolved by re-rooting the phone and then doing a full wipe.
  3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I assume you've done a full wipe before installing each ROM? Have you tried a different kernel? What about removing any 'remembered' networks and letting it find it again?
  4. Darryll83

Darryll83 New Member

Yes I have been doing full wipes between ROMs. I have also run a few different kernels. I ran your Med V 1g under UD and CM7, I ran deprimed with CM7, and you'll have to forgive me but I don't remember which I ran in BB and LGB, it was whatever is default and now with SS I am running the 1.1g Med v.

I have not forgotten all of the networks, should I totally delete ever remembered account? I have been experiencing the problem with networks my phone had never seen before. For example when I was travelling out of state..

It makes me wonder if it could be a hardware issue conisdering the litany of different ROMs and kernels?

By the way ChevyNo1, I want to thank you for your awesome ROM, it is ridiculously fast (the other day it benchmarked at 1377 on quadrant) and so far the most stable of the 5 that I have used..

5. Darryll83

Darryll83 New Member

Re-rooting huh? Maybe I will have to try that when I get to work tomorrow..

6. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

What you could do is uncheck the backup/restore options in privacy, back your apps up with titanium backup, do a data wipe/factory reset. Then before signing back into google go back into privacy settings again and make sure both boxes are unchecked. Then restore your apps with TiBu, user apps only with data, no system apps or settings.

7. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

I've also had this problem on my first droid and now on my second, doesn't matter what rom or kernel, I've tried them all, some seem to work better than others, chevy's 5/31 kernel works best. Still doesn't fully solve the problem. My droid is wifi only atm so this is a big issue for me. I don't think the d1 handles interference very well so try playing with your router channels.

Another thing I want to try is locking the wifi settings in memory. Sometimes ill look to make sure I'm connected, full bars, 10 feet from AP, and then open up twitter and it says "no route to host". Then I go right back to wifi settings via recently used apps and I'm still connected. Go back to twitter and the same thing, or I get lucky and it works.

Youtube vids can stream good in portrait, but as soon as I turn the phone sideways, there goes the connection, and it won't always reconnect right away so I keep wifi settings in the recent list as much as possible. Sliding the keyboard out is almost a gurantee that I disconnect as well. Trying to type a web page and then jumping back to wifi settings, back to browser and hitting refresh is a real hassle. I'm gonna install a rom that let's me lock wifi in memory and report back. Really wish this was solved already but I never really cared for wifi till I disconnected 3g.

BTW 3g has always out performed wifi for me. Big time. 3g I get 2-3Mbps, wifi I'm lucky to get 1.5. But that's probably thanks to belkin.

Noobz call me Captain Save a Droid
  8. MinionOfEckerd

MinionOfEckerd New Member

I've been using WiFi all-day every day for the past two weeks (I'm a teacher, so now is my summer break) while I'm doing things around the house. All of a sudden, my WiFi stopped working yesterday and my Voice Calling has been getting screwy.

Reinstalled the rom, and the update, but it is still giving me trouble.
  9. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

I am also experiencing this as well. I posted a message about it,
    Wi-Fi Scan Not Working?.

I have found that if I forget a network and then add it manually it will connect, but will not find it. And the AiFi Analysis app doesn't see any networks either.

If I connect to a network manually it will stay connected until I turn off WiFi.
  10. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Ok, just got ss5.4, logging is back on. Using 5/31 kernel @1.2ghz. Wifi settings is locked in, but still getting connection timeouts. Could be interference, I'm gonna play with different channels and see what happens. BTW, can everyone list their router model and channel, these may just be related to cheap routers. Ill report back soon.

Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG
  11. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I use Lynksys E1000 wirelesses N router on channel 1 as most people seem to use channel 6, must be the default and causes interference and connection problems.

12. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Try channel 11. I use a belkin on 10 but I'm surrounded by a mess of networks. Figure that's gotta be the problem. If you have interference in your area, try using protected mode.
    Edit: lower frequency=longer range. High frequency=short range. Higher frequency cannot travel well through dense matter, and it dies off sooner. But, the data can transfer faster at higher quality if broadcast over higher frequency. That's why its hard to understand someone with a deep voice but easier to hear them through a wall. At least in my theory anyways. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  13. Darryll83

Darryll83 New Member

Sure enough, re-rooting worked. I unrooted, and WiFi worked. Re-rooted the phone and now WiFi works again dancedroid

Thank you kmagameguy.
Search tags for this page
android tablet wifi wont stay on
android wifi won't stay on

android wifi wont stay on

how do i get my wifi to stay on
how do i get the wifi to stay on on my android tablet
how to make wifi stay on android
i turn my wi fi off and now it wont stay on my tablet
motorola droid x2 wifi wont stay on
my wifi wont stay on
why won't my wifi stay turned on