WiFi Won't Connect Using WPA, WPA2

jwkidd864

Reaction score
I've checked the threads on this topic and have found a lot of questions, but no answers that have worked for me. I'm using a Linksys 400N at home and trying to connect using WPA/WPA2. No problems connecting any other devices--just my Droid. It connects and operates fine using WEP at home OR 802.1x at work!

OP
J

jwkidd864

Reaction score
WiFi & WPA2

Due to no replies to this post, I set aside time yesterday to comb through a series of posts on this forum's "front page." I read through several threads with "Wifi" in the title. I concentrated on those with relatively high numbers of views and came across, what was for me a "nugget." It appears the Android system truly does have a hang up with this combination on home router/WAPs--using WPA2 and not broadcasting the SSID. Linksys calls this "WiFi Protected Access."

One of the posts I read suggested to temporarily broadcast the SSID (using WPA2) and Droid will connect. This worked for me. The other suggestions was... having connected once with the broadcasted SSID, one could subsequently stop broadcasting it and still connect. I learned this was not the case for me. In the final analysis, I ended up using my Linksys WRT-400N manual settings to allow broadcast of the SSID for only the G-band, which is all Droid will use anyway. It still allows use of WPA2 security (while broadcasting SSID), which at the end of the day, is a security increase over WEP. Hope this helps some of you experiencing the same or similar problems! :blackdroid:

Last edited:

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
I am gonna hafta try this cause I was having the same issue at home!

Grabraham

Reaction score
Just as a headsup- Do not get to worried about broadcasting SSIDs. The amount of 'security' hiding the SSID gives you is very small.

odiaz

Reaction score
Mine was conencting fine with WPA but now it won't conenct anymore. I don't know why. sometimes I canget ti to connect after removing the network and readding it several times but when I return home it will no longer connect. I've spent almost 2 hours fiddling with it this time and I can't get it to connect at all. I even rebooted it. nothing.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for everything said here. Broadcast SSID, make sure you broadcast in B/G/N Mixed mode (as Droid uses G), and make sure you dont have a MAC filter running on your router.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
When in doubt, reboot the router.

no issues on wpa2, with or without ssid bcast here.

odiaz

Reaction score
Mine was conencting fine with WPA but now it won't conenct anymore. I don't know why. sometimes I canget ti to connect after removing the network and readding it several times but when I return home it will no longer connect. I've spent almost 2 hours fiddling with it this time and I can't get it to connect at all. I even rebooted it. nothing.

I called verizon and had to have this issue escalated to tier 2. they told me this is a known problem and suggested I call verizon. In the mean time I dowloaded WiFi Buddy from the market and that tool solved the problem. Now I can reconenct to all remembered networks.

afigura

Reaction score
Droid used to be able to connect to WPA wifi

I'm not sure but I think that ever since I upgraded my Droid's OS to 2.1 I haven't been able to connect to my home's WiFi, which is WPA protected and SSID not broadcast. I was definitely connecting to my home WiFi prior to the upgrade. Is there a connection here?

Also, WiFi Buddy doesn't seem to be of any help to me. It detects the network just fine but I still can't connect into it.

Last edited:

uberpruek

Reaction score
Website
youtube-downloader.tripod.com
Firebox X edge

Okay, I know this is an old thread and all, but after reading countless amounts of information on wireless hangups, I have come to get assistance from other minds.

Setup, I am running 2.2 on Droid (orig) and my network consists of Firebox X-edge W. I run WPA2/PSK now simply because the PS3 only supports that. Well, I have NEVER been able to connect to my wireless using this authentication. I can connect to a optional wireless network using WEP, but I have to lock down with MAC filtering and come on, MAC filter is like a 5 minute scan hack...spoof MAC then you can take another 5 minutes to crack WEP. I assume everyone can do this, but I know only a few can, but youtube allows more that should know how to now.

Anyway, WPA doesn't work either. If anyone has a nudge for me, I would be willing to take it. I have tech support with Watchguard and have contacted them about this issue and they all point me to the Droid. They said they have had other boxes of their wireless products work with it, so I figured they were trying to sell me another box. Don't need one...now if anyone has any suggestions on a different security appliance that is sub $500 that will work with this, please I am all ears. Need the wireless though cause can't run wires don't own house.

Thanks for any input

D

dvdcatalyst

I actually managed to get WPA (Airport router) to work with my Droid X, but it was instable. I was already using a work-around for a "location-free" box (so I can access my TiVo from a laptop anywhere) by using an old router as an access point.

Set the router up with an internal fixed IP that matches your IP range from your main router. Make sure the IP you give it is not one from your main dhcp range. Turn off DHCP on this router, and enable wireless. Connect the wifi router to your main router using a lan-port (not the WAN). Don't forget to set the security to WEP

When you connect to it wirelessly, you should get an IP addy from the main router, providing wifi access on your Droid and access to your internal network.

Another option is to set the router up on a different IP range internally than your main network (192.168.2.1 vs 192.168.1.1) aqnd connect it with the WAN port to your main router. Leave DHCP on the other one enabled. Then you can connect to the internet, but will not have access to your local network.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I called verizon and had to have this issue escalated to tier 2. they told me this is a known problem and suggested I call verizon. In the mean time I dowloaded WiFi Buddy from the market and that tool solved the problem. Now I can reconenct to all remembered networks.

Something funny about this response. See if you can spot it. And odiaz, I'm not picking on you, I just thought it was amusing.;)

maureend

Reaction score
FIXED!!

I was having the same problem. Droid 2 trying to connect to my home Linksys WRT54GS Router with WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES.

The Droid would keep saying "Obtaining IP address..." but then would disconnect, and actually never fully connected at all.

After doing a bunch of research on this, here's the fix that worked for me:

On the Droid, go to Wireless Settings, then hit Menu > Advanced.
Check "Use Static IP"
I gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.149 (I have my router address at 192.168.1.1 with an allowance of 50 DHCP users, so I put the droid up there at #49)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS1: 208.67.222.222
DNS2: 208.67.220.220

These 2 DNS numbers are from opendns.com. Someone on another thread said it worked for them, so I tried it and it worked for me too.

As soon as I tried it, I instantly got the full wireless signal.

I hope this helps someone else!

Maureen

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I can always connect to my routers. It's keeping internet access that's my problem, and my friend's problem, and my parent's problem. Sure you can browse webpages for 5-10 mins but after that, almost everyone I know with a droid loses the ability to connect to the internet even though WiFi remains connected.