Wifi will not work on my phone

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by droidgrr, Mar 28, 2013.

1. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

I got the Droid 4 less than 2 months ago. I was out of the country for a week. My wi-fi worked at international airports and hotels, etc. on the way there and back. When I got home, my phone wouldn't connect to my wireless modem. My laptop is wirelessly connected to it, so it has to be my phone. I have 'forgotten' the network and then re-entered my password (done this MANY times). When I attempt to reconnect, it shows Signal Strength = Excellent, Security = WEP. Enter password and it says connecting for several minutes - I click on it and it shows Signal strength = Poor. Eventually it shows disconnected. Verizon had me restart the phone in safe mode, same result. They just want to send me a new phone and I really do not want to go through this. Any suggestions?
  2. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

Also, when I was out of the country, of course, I got notified of an OS update. I said to do it later several times, but it eventually started. I think my wifi connection was ok, but it seemed to finish within a few min - msg said it could take 20 min. One other thing: I live in the country - and I am on an extended network at my house - the 4G network is about 5 miles east of me. Verizon is putting up a new tower about 1 mile from me. When I got back from my vacation, I saw that the tower is up, but construction around it does not appear to be done. I can't imagine that this construction is affecting me?
  3. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

I called Verizon back as nothing was working so I might as just bite the bullet and get a new phone. This time a CSR that seems knowledgeable told me that I have JellyBean 4.1.2 and that requires WPA2 security. My wireless modem has WEP and WPA-PSK. I had been using WEP, so we tried WPA-PSK, but it still wouldn't work. I then called CenturyLink and they are sending me a new WPA2 model. I hope this solves my problem.
  4. myfishbear

myfishbear Developer Developer

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  5. tntrucknut

tntrucknut New Member

I tried this since I am having the same problem. I renamed the original file rather than just replacing. Then copied the supplied file to /system/bin. After doing this, wifi would not turn on. Tried a reboot but it didn't help. I deleted the supplied file from /system/bin and went back to original file. Wifi now turns back on. Might flash a JB rom then flash this fix to see if it works that way. Did I miss something though. Would file permissions have anything to do with it?
  6. tntrucknut

tntrucknut New Member

Changing permissions worked! Wifi connected successfully to my router! Thank you for this patch.
  7. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

Thanks for this information, but I don't know much about being "rooted". I've seen this mentioned before, but I am not technically savvy with phone hardware, nor do I know much about downloading files and putting them in different directories. At this point, I will have the new router on Monday. If the new router does not solve my problem, then I can look into your suggestion. I do appreciate the time you took to respond. (If I do need help, though, I am pretty sure I would screw up my phone and then have a bigger problem. I don't know anyone that would know what you are talking about either!)
  8. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

Good news. I got my new wireless router and my phone's wifi works again.
Search tags for this page
my android wifi is not working
my wifi isnt working on my android
my wifi wont work on my droid x
phone wifi wont work
why does my wifi not work on my android
why does wifi not work on my android

why wont wifi work on my android

why wont wifi work on my phone
wifi not working on android phone
wifi on my android not working
wifi on my phone wont work