WiFi will not stay on

tippy69

Reaction score
Just recently upgraded my wifes phone to a LG Vortex and for whatever reason the WiFi works, It recognizes my network, able to input password, then as quick as it accesses the network, it soon after signs itself off.

Not sure it keeps doing this. I use a BB Storm 2 which connects fine and stays on, but her LG will not stay on.....anything I may be doing wrong?

G

guest999

Does it disconnect from wifi when the screen turns off?

If so, change the wifi sleep policy. settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings>MENU BUTTON>advanced>wifi sleep policy. Set it to never turn off.

OP
T

tippy69

Reaction score

If so, change the wifi sleep policy. settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings>MENU BUTTON>advanced>wifi sleep policy. Set it to never turn off.

I will check that tonight. When your in the wifi setting area where you scan for networks it scans, then I plug in the password, connects, then quickly disconnects and underneath the word wifi it says disconnect, all in the same screen.

G

guest999

I will check that tonight. When your in the wifi setting area where you scan for networks it scans, then I plug in the password, connects, then quickly disconnects and underneath the word wifi it says disconnect, all in the same screen.

I haven't had that happen. Good luck.

twokatmew

Reaction score

When the WiFi disconnects like that, it probably means you entered your password incorrectly. That was happening to me. In desperation I reentered the password, and now everything's fine. It's easy to make a mistake and not know it, and it never tells you your credentials are incorrect. Try turning on "show password" before you start typing your password. That way you can check the password before you save it.

OP
T

tippy69

Reaction score

When the WiFi disconnects like that, it probably means you entered your password incorrectly. That was happening to me. In desperation I reentered the password, and now everything's fine. It's easy to make a mistake and not know it, and it never tells you your credentials are incorrect. Try turning on "show password" before you start typing your password. That way you can check the password before you save it.

Will try again tonite. But if it was the wrong password then why would it connect to my router then disconnect. I would think if its the wrong password it just wouldn't connect at all.....weird....

I know the wifi works on it because it recognizes the neighbors routers too.

twokatmew

Reaction score

Will try again tonite. But if it was the wrong password then why would it connect to my router then disconnect. I would think if its the wrong password it just wouldn't connect at all.....weird....

When WiFi can't authenticate, it disconnects and shows "disconnected." If you turn on WiFi in the settings menu, you'll see WiFi "connected" then "disconnected," and under your network info (SSID, etc.), you'll see your network is "disabled." This means your credentials are incorrect (or, for example, your router has MAC address filtering turned on and you haven't OK'd your Vortex's MAC address, or you made a typo in the MAC address, etc.) You can see your neighbors' networks because your phone's WiFi radio is on and has scanned for active networks.

OP
T

tippy69

Reaction score

When WiFi can't authenticate, it disconnects and shows "disconnected." If you turn on WiFi in the settings menu, you'll see WiFi "connected" then "disconnected," and under your network info (SSID, etc.), you'll see your network is "disabled." This means your credentials are incorrect (or, for example, your router has MAC address filtering turned on and you haven't OK'd your Vortex's MAC address, or you made a typo in the MAC address, etc.) You can see your neighbors' networks because your phone's WiFi radio is on and has scanned for active networks.

The weird thing is that on my BB Storm2 I can connect with no issues at all using that same password. Maybe for some stupid reason I am mis- typing it in her phone. I will do as you recommend and show password to make sure of it tonite. Let u know how it works out. Thanks for your help!

twokatmew

Reaction score

The weird thing is that on my BB Storm2 I can connect with no issues at all using that same password. Maybe for some stupid reason I am mis- typing it in her phone. I will do as you recommend and show password to make sure of it tonite. Let u know how it works out. Thanks for your help!

Y'welcome. :)

I use WPA2. Not only is my password very long, but it uses upper/lower case as well as special characters. This makes it a real pain to type. Even though I turn on "show password" when typing it, I still scroll back to the beginning of the password and check each character again. I've caught myself leaving out a character, doubling a character, or entering an "l" for an "I", etc. I was sure I'd entered the correct password (or that it would tell me if my SSID and password didn't jive), but no. So unless you have a real simple password, it's easy to make a mistake and not know it.

Do post back. I'm curious to see if your connection problem is as easily fixed as mine was. ;)

BFB

Reaction score
LG Vortex WiFi "password"

For what it's worth I had this same problem. After reentering my "password" several times, resetting my modem, changing my "password", turning "WEP" on and off, etc.,...you get the idea...it occured to me that when the smartphone asked for my "password" what it really wanted was my encryption "key code".

So I input this instead and wallah, it connected to my wireless network, no problem. I found the "key code" listed in section 5 of the "basic security settings" screen" (which I needed my "password" to access) of the "wireless settings" screen of my router page, i.e. http://192.168.1.1 for my Westell 327W router.

Being that my wireless and internet service are both Verizon you'd think they'd harmonize their terminology. Or at least make a note of the different terminology somewhere in the phone literature. Ah well, I only wasted two hours of my life. I guess it's time to move on. Hope this helps someone.

twokatmew

Reaction score
For what it's worth I had this same problem. After reentering my "password" several times, resetting my modem, changing my "password", turning "WEP" on and off, etc.,...you get the idea...it occured to me that when the smartphone asked for my "password" what it really wanted was my encryption "key code".

So I input this instead and wallah, it connected to my wireless network, no problem. I found the "key code" listed in section 5 of the "basic security settings" screen" (which I needed my "password" to access) of the "wireless settings" screen of my router page, i.e. http://192.168.1.1 for my Westell 327W router.

Being that my wireless and internet service are both Verizon you'd think they'd harmonize their terminology. Or at least make a note of the different terminology somewhere in the phone literature. Ah well, I only wasted two hours of my life. I guess it's time to move on. Hope this helps someone.

The WiFi setup is likely an Android function, which is probably why the terminology is not the same as with your Verizon internet service. And granted, when it's asking for your "password," it's not using the correct terminology. This is a case of UI dumbing down to the point of confusion. Glad you got it worked out.