Wifi turns itself on

NCKramer

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having an issue where WiFi is turning itself on all the time. It has just been happening in the past few weeks and I'm pretty sure it was in the TOS of some app that I didn't read. I've gone through apps I see in process when it comes on and have not been able to determine which has been changing the data connection. I'm trying to find an app that will not allow wifi to turn on unless I go into that app (or in the phone's settings) to change the wifi state. If another app tries to change the data connection to wifi it will stop the process. Any help?!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason an app would access wifi. What would the point be?

Accessing the web, yes, many apps do that but they access it by either 3G or WiFi if you have it turned on.

So if the wifi is coming on by itself as you say then you probably need to do a factory data reset to get your phone back to it's original set up. All your apps will return when you sign in.

If the problem continues after that then if your out of warranty you may be out of luck.

But accessing your wifi. Can I ask why you have a problem with this? It's actually better for the phone to be on wifi. It conserves battery use over 3G.

Unless you have some other reason for not wanting it to access wifi, I'd learn to live with it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Y5 might be able to do what you want. That's my idea.

No, that's an app that remembers wifi locations that you've visited like a Starbuks and notifies you that wifi is available. I don't know what the point of that app is, but it will not resolve the members issue.

wlemammoth

Reaction score
I use Y5 to log onto my home network without going into settings. It will also turn off my wifi if it doesn't recognize the network. So I was thinking if he didn't authorize any networks perhaps it would keep the wifi off. Worth a try.

tndroid

Reaction score
u r not alone, i have this issue with my Droid 1 too....

rocket_girl

Reaction score
There is a thread on this in the Droid Pro forum. Same happened to me. Other posters knew a specific app that causes this. I had that app and uninstalled. Problem solved. I would link to that thread here but I don't know how! I posted in that thread a coiple of weeks ago...

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Metroba

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I had no idea that Wifi used less battery power than my 3g service. This explains why my wifi has been turning on by itself - because of my battery boosting app.