wifi turning on by itself

miltk

Reaction score
my wife's maxx's wifi is turning on by itself. when i turn it off in settings/wifi a couple of minutes later it turns on again. she has almost the same apps as i do and she hasn't installed anything new since she pretty much leaves it alone. i don't know when this started because she was never aware of it.

i ran an av and it caught two text messages that i got rid of. i thought everything was ok but i just caught the wifi-on again. if anaybody has any ideas of what app or prgram might be causing this,,,,thx ahead of time.

btw,,,,would doing a hard reset fix the problem?

maxx 1st gen

thx

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Av caught 2 text messages? What did it catch???

Make sure the notify is unchecked.

uploadfromtaptalk1408019097274.jpg

doogald

Reaction score
my wife's maxx's wifi is turning on by itself. when i turn it off in settings/wifi a couple of minutes later it turns on again. she has almost the same apps as i do and she hasn't installed anything new since she pretty much leaves it alone. i don't know when this started because she was never aware of it.

i ran an av and it caught two text messages that i got rid of. i thought everything was ok but i just caught the wifi-on again. if anaybody has any ideas of what app or prgram might be causing this,,,,thx ahead of time.

btw,,,,would doing a hard reset fix the problem?

maxx 1st gen

thx

That's too drastic. Settings / Wifi. Tap the three dot menu control bottom right, then advanced. Turn off "scanning always available" - when that is on, the phone keeps the wifi radio on in order to improve location services.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
didn't see a three dot menu but "auto connect" was enabled, "notify" was not.

thx

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Also make sure scanning always available is turned off in wifi settings.

doogald

Reaction score
didn't see a three dot menu but "auto connect" was enabled, "notify" was not.

thx
Settings / wifi. That screen has an on/off slider at the top, a list of available wifi networks if wifi is on in the main part of the screen. Bottom right of that screen are three vertical dots (that's the three dot menu). Tap that, advanced, follow the directions above for turning off scanning always available.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
we're talking 1st gen maxx, right? no 3dot menu, just on/off slider, notify me, and auto-connect. then wifi networks below that

doogald

Reaction score
we're talking 1st gen maxx, right? no 3dot menu, just on/off slider, notify me, and auto-connect. then wifi networks below that

Well, this is the forum for the 2013 Droid Maxx, so I was talking about that phone. You may want to look for the forum for the Droid RAZR Maxx and ask there.

doogald

Reaction score
The old Droids have a menu button, right? Press that and look for advanced and see if that setting is there. Might not be.