WIFi to Network data issues.

Tonik

Reaction score
I can't really say when this started as I have never used WiFil much. But I have pretty weak data signal in my office so I finally got around to hooking my Bionic up to the wireless. The issue is when I leave the office and head home. No matter how I do it I have to fight to get back on VZ's network for data. It is all the usual symptoms of the old 'data drop'. Airplane mode won't fix it, I have to toggle CMDA/LTE to get it to reconnect. Does not matter if I turn WiFi off as I leave, or if I leave it on.

johnm93359

Reaction score
I can't really say when this started as I have never used WiFil much. But I have pretty weak data signal in my office so I finally got around to hooking my Bionic up to the wireless. The issue is when I leave the office and head home. No matter how I do it I have to fight to get back on VZ's network for data. It is all the usual symptoms of the old 'data drop'. Airplane mode won't fix it, I have to toggle CMDA/LTE to get it to reconnect. Does not matter if I turn WiFi off as I leave, or if I leave it on.

I have the same issue with my Droid 4. After traveling over 10 miles, I finally I noticed I was registering 4G in a somewhat rural area. I turned off the 4G (while stationary... Already arrived at my destination before I could use navigation). In about 2 minutes, I was connected.

Doggod10

Reaction score
Droid Bionic 3 or 4?

My company is going to upgrade my Blackberry to a Bionic 3 or 4. Can someone tell me which one is better? I see online line that there is some problems with the phone toggling between 3g and 4g. I don't have 4g as of now in my area but may have it within the next 6 months. Is there a big differnce between the two and are there any other problems I should know about? Thanks.

Doggod10

Reaction score
Since I'm learning from the Master, I stand corrected. All I know is what they asked me at the home office. They asked, "Which Droid? Bionic, 3 or 4?" Now that I know that my home office doesn't know what they are doing, I'm glad I came here to asked questions. Can you tell me please what the difference is between the Droid 3 and 4? Which one would you pick and there any big issues I should be aware of? I rely heavily on my phone for work, I need a good one.

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
Sounds like they are giving you three choices. A bionic, or a Droid 3 or a Droid 4. Take the 4 if you want a slide out keyboard if not take the bionic. Personally I don't miss the keyboard and prefer the bionic. Hit a VZ store and check them out. No big issues with either one. Take the one you like the most.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

markn455

Reaction score
This seems to be a regular problem with the Bionic. The last OTA update was suppose to address the issue. For me, it only made it happen less often. Motorola says in their site to turnoff the phone and leave it off for a minimum of a minute once per day. I call BS on that one. These phones do not run on Windows! :biggrin:

Anyway, get use to the data connective issues on Droid when moving from WiFi to Cellular Data. I don't recall if I had the problem on my Droid 1 but I have seen the issue on the Droid 3 and the Bionic. Anyone else?

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
Thanks. Minor issues like this I can handle now that I know it isn't just me.

Insert witty sig here.

geekabilly

Reaction score
This seems to be a regular problem with the Bionic. The last OTA update was suppose to address the issue. For me, it only made it happen less often. Motorola says in their site to turnoff the phone and leave it off for a minimum of a minute once per day. I call BS on that one. These phones do not run on Windows! :biggrin:

Anyway, get use to the data connective issues on Droid when moving from WiFi to Cellular Data. I don't recall if I had the problem on my Droid 1 but I have seen the issue on the Droid 3 and the Bionic. Anyone else?

Wi-Fi shift to 3G is absolutely a Bionic issue -- NP 3G to WiFi -- never happened on my Droid 1 or Thunderbolt, does not happen on my wife's Razr.

I need to reboot to bring it up if it 3G doesn't come on -- I notice that if I have the 3G icon with the WiFi icon, the transition is fine -- but if no 3G icon with WiFi on, I will need to reboot the phone to get 3G link when I leave the house.

3G - 4G - 3G handoffs are fine.

Maybe the .904 update will help, although it is not mentinoed in the changelog, apparently there are new radios included.

Mungboy

Reaction score
I have the same issue with data handoff, but also with GPS. It takes forever for the network to find my phone.

Are OTA updates automaticor do I need to actively download?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums