Wifi tethering

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Reaction score
Ok, do you need to be rooted? Where is "phone info",all I see is about phone and there is nothing in there to turn any radio on or off...
There's a small button to turn ur radio on and off when u open phone information

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Burnintrees

Reaction score
yeah just tried it out. works perfectly. such a killer on the battery though.

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
sorry to ask so many questions....is this a one time thing or do you need to follow this sequence everytime you use it....thanks

helmsleyl

Reaction score
It works. but it looks like we have to do that step every time we restart the hotspot.

I was testing the speed between this method and the wireless tether app, the app is slightly faster.

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Reaction score
Every time sry. Download switchpan it'll take u directly to the screen u need

Jaeger

Reaction score
I'll stick with my wireless tether app for root users. This certainly works but its a but of a pain in the butt. I could see Verizon making a case for theft of services for using an app that they normally charge money for. The root program works beautifully and will run Netflix on my ipod with no trouble.
Its a good truck to know though. Thanks for posting it.

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Reaction score
How is rooting and using tethering any different?

cpinto

Reaction score
Here's something u guys may like. Here's a really simple way to get free tethering ,I haven't tried this for myself yet but someone just confirmed that it does work. Turn on hotspot dial* #*#info#*#* then turn ur radio off and back on and that's it. When u finish dialling a menu pops up and under one of the tabs is a option to turn ur radio on and off

Can you list exactly how you do this.

When you say "INFO", I'm not following that.

Thanks

cpinto

Reaction score
Here's something u guys may like. Here's a really simple way to get free tethering ,I haven't tried this for myself yet but someone just confirmed that it does work. Turn on hotspot dial* #*#info#*#* then turn ur radio off and back on and that's it. When u finish dialling a menu pops up and under one of the tabs is a option to turn ur radio on and off

Can you list exactly how you do this.

When you say "INFO", I'm not following that.

Thanks

Nevermind ... I figured it out. This turns on the Wifi, but you still can only access the Verizon info page unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Jaeger

Reaction score
How is rooting and using tethering any different?

In essence it isn't. However you are using a 3rd party app to provide the service and not the stock app which Verizon provides at the cost of $20 month. If you take the stock app (which requires you to pay a fee) and hack it so that you are receiving the service without paying the fee, I could see where they would have a fairly clear case of theft of services.

Now, would they go after you for that? Would they be able to track it without actually going into your phone? I don't know. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. With the ready availability of wireless Tether and Barnacle I don't see the need to take the chance.

crimster

Reaction score
i just want to be able to have my x be a hub for my laptop for free so i can have internet on my laptop. we have a desktop that is online but i need my laptop to be wireless in my home. i want to do it the safest way for my phone , contract, warranty...etc. if there is a problem with the batt being drained, can we not just plug it into the usb post?

dswartze

Reaction score
using the 3G Hotspot gives me wifi "router" functionality (including WEP, WPA, WPA2).

does the wifi tethering option do the same? I was under the impression that wifi tethering works via ad-hoc.

liferefugee

Reaction score
The difference between this and the tether app is actually huge for some. The difference is you use add hoc mode for the tether app. You use infrastructure mode for the 3g app.

Long story short, ad hoc networks are not usable by many things including corporate computers.