wifi tethering stopped working....

jccdroid

Reaction score
OK, I hope that this will be all the information that you will need....
Currently own Droid with 2.2 and latest update (not sure if its maybe 2.2.5 or something like that),
After the first 2.2 update I rooted my phone with easyroot, then installed wireless tether wifi app. It has all worked perfectly until I had a recent update about a week ago. I assumed that the update was to fix the icon delay problem (helped a little) but instead I can no longer tether my my phone. I have tried to resolve this myself but I just keep hitting a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wdprice3

Reaction score
are you still rooted? some updates may unroot your device. check that first. then try reinstalling your tethering app.

OP
J

jccdroid

Reaction score
are you still rooted? some updates may unroot your device. check that first. then try reinstalling your tethering app.

Yup, that was the first thing that I tried. Still rooted, reinstalled the app several times.

wdprice3

Reaction score
ok... so what is the exact problem? does the app work and turn tethering on, but your computer can't connect, or is the app just not working at all?

OP
J

jccdroid

Reaction score
ok... so what is the exact problem? does the app work and turn tethering on, but your computer can't connect, or is the app just not working at all?

The app works until I press to start tethering. At this point it tells me that tethering cannot be started. I tried barnicle legacy also and also fails to start.

Could it be possible that my rooting app is telling me that I am rooted and I am not?? Maybe I should unroot then reroot?? (just a thought)

OP
J

jccdroid

Reaction score
OK, I forced the reroot, uninstalled the app, restarted the phone, reinstalled the app and still the same problem. I know that I am rooted because I can still use my overclock app.

hofackerjk

Reaction score
problem with tether after forced re-root with easyroot

I have re-rooted several times and am getting the same error message when using Barnacle wifi tether.

OP
J

jccdroid

Reaction score
I have re-rooted several times and am getting the same error message when using Barnacle wifi tether.

Must be a new issue..... did you install a system update about a week or so ago after the 2.2 update?

wdprice3

Reaction score
sounds like the app has an issue... tried any other tethering apps?

OP
J

jccdroid

Reaction score
sounds like the app has an issue... tried any other tethering apps?

Yes I have, they all do the same. I sent an email to the developer to see what they say. I will post their response for anyone else having this issue. I am willing to bet that the latest update made all of the tethering apps noncompatible and the developers are working on a solution...... But I could be wrong.

HamDog

Reaction score
How did you re-root? Using EasyRoot? If yes, there's your problem!

The latest update unroots your phone. EasyRoot cannot root with the latest update on your phone. You need to root manually. I don't think there are anymore one click rooting apps that are capable of rooting your phone with the latest update in place.

To root manually, visit this thread (click on this line)

The instructions can be intimidating at first. But just take it one step at a time and you'll be rooted again.