WiFi Tethering for PS3

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by C3-PO, Feb 17, 2010.

1. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

I hope this hasn't been answered already somewhere else. I tried to search but couldn't find the answer to this specific question.

If I have WiFi tethering, why won't the PS3 just connect to it? Why do I need to bridge it with a computer? And since I have to bridge it to a computer anyway, then I don't need the WiFi tethering, right? PDAnet using the USB to my computer and then sharing it to the PS3 should be fine, right?

I haven't even rooted my phone yet, but am thinking about it. Trying to do all my research first, like a good little boy.:)

(And BTW, off topic, I know, but why can't we search small words? I tried searching for PS3 and it told me the word was too small. I couldn't even search for Best Buy on this site. I had to go out to google and do a search to find info on ps3 on this site.)
  2. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x New Member

PS3 cannot connect to a Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi host. I tried it all ready though I remember reading about hooking it to a 360, there was a link to the PS3 one .

BRB

EDIT: Yep you need to bridge it.
  3. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

OK Thanks. So then, if I have PDAnet running on my computer, I can bridge it by running an ethernet cable to the PS3 and sharing the connection, and I don't need to root and get WiFi tethering. Is this correct?
  4. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x New Member

Exactly, it is going to get laggy playing though. Good Luck.
  5. mach330

mach330 New Member

is this really how you connect ps3 to droid to get 3g? i was going to try the wifi tether with phone directly but sounds like there's more to it than that.
  6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

very odd, why doesn't it just work?
  7. beneharris

beneharris New Member

i was never able to connect my ps3 through pda net. you will need wifi tethering. pdanet serves as a modem, and i couldn't find a sharing connection option for it.

the wifi tethering is actually pretty quick. when the phone gets a good signal, the game is super fast. i could play MW2 without a hitch. every once in a while it would lag when the phone connection got spotty, but it was never anything annoying. all you do is bridge the connection from the computer. no biggie!
  8. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

you dont need pda net at all, just connect your computer to the droid and then bridge your computer to the ps3

just google how to bridge connections
  9. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

HUH?! You don't need PDAnet at all? Are you saying just connect the Droid to the PC with the USB cable, then connect the PS3 to the computer with ethernet and it will work? Or are you talking about connecting the Droid to the computer with WiFi tether?
  10. lordegregious

lordegregious New Member

There was a thread a couple of days ago that had this conversation but the results were that it you'd definitely have to connect the droid to the computer and then share it to your ps3. I played for around 40 minutes a couple days ago and had zero lag in Uncharted 2 and MAG. You may have to wifi tether because I'm not sure how pdanet would work with its modem connection.
  11. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

OK. So, it looks like I'll have to root and get the WiFi tether for the best results. This means I'll have to get a Wifi dongle for my computer. Just to be sure, does anyone know what protocol the WiFi tether uses? Wireless 'G' or 'N'? Does it matter?
Search tags for this page
android wifi tether for ps3
android wifi tether ps3
connect ps3 to wifi tether
connect wifi tether to ps3
galaxy s4 tethering to ps3
ps3 internet connection with android
ps3 tethering
ps3 wifi tether
ps3 won't connect to wifi tether
tether pc to ps3
tether ps3