Wifi tether possible?

hufn

Reaction score
I've searched here, xda, plus some other places and don't have a definitive answer, so if anyone knows please lmk :)

Is there any way to setup wifi tether on the D3 currently? I know there is no root as of yet and root would give this quite easily...

I also know pdanet and such will give bluetooth dun, but I am connecting to an ipad2 that cannot do that (it cannot be jailbroken as of yet) so need wifi tether

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You said it yourself - there is no root access right now. Beyond activating and paying for the Mobile Hotspot feature through Verizon, WiFi tethering is only possible with root access.

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
Is there wifi tether through vzw, even with the pay service? The vzw site didnt say mifi and i wasn't sure

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is there wifi tether through vzw, even with the pay service? The vzw site didnt say mifi and i wasn't sure

Yeah, if you pay for the Mobile Hotspot, like I mentioned in my post. Right now that's the only way to do any wifi tethering with the Droid 3.

try easy tether

Easy Tether requires a USB connection. It can't do wireless. The OP wants to be able to connect his iPad 2, and stated that a wireless connection is needed.

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
thanks :) I am probably switching from my D2 oto D3 soon (actually was upgraded from D1 by support as I got so many replacements ;) but only regular D2, not global... not that I needed, but it is faster.

Anyway, I know this will be rooted eventually. It may take a few months, but I may need something sooner. If I have to pay for a month here and there I can deal. I expect this will be rooted sooner rather than later :)

Thanks...