wifi Tether on Samsung Fascinate

bdubnpaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the link mrdroid....that's the file that I used. I was so close last night to getting it to work. The WiFi was turned on, tethering was active, my computer was listed on the connected/authorized clients list and I clicked on it so it had a green check mark. My computer saw the ssid of my phone and connected to it. Soooooo, I thought I was good to go. Wrong....clicked on the internet and nothing. Did I miss something?

OP
Goldpolk

Goldpolk

Reaction score
Thanks for the link mrdroid....that's the file that I used. I was so close last night to getting it to work. The WiFi was turned on, tethering was active, my computer was listed on the connected/authorized clients list and I clicked on it so it had a green check mark. My computer saw the ssid of my phone and connected to it. Soooooo, I thought I was good to go. Wrong....clicked on the internet and nothing. Did I miss something?

Check to see if the in and out data bits are incrimenting on your phone when the tether is active. You may have issues in the computer. You may want to also check that you are truly rooted on the phone. You need to load the shell and then su. Watch the phone to allow it and see if you get the # sign back on the shell terminal. If not, You are not fully rooted.

RC.

bdubnpaw

Reaction score
So what is the best rooting method to use? I used the one click method located here: How to Root - Android Forums

It seems to be rooted. I've been able to load certain programs that ask for superuser access, and I have allowed it and then the program works. The part that confuses me is this whole # thing that I keep reading about. Never did see that. So I don't think I'm rooted correctly. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

B

bdubnpaw

Reaction score
So what is the best rooting method to use? I used the one click method located here: How to Root - Android Forums

It seems to be rooted. I've been able to load certain programs that ask for superuser access, and I have allowed it and then the program works. The part that confuses me is this whole # thing that I keep reading about. Never did see that. So I don't think I'm rooted correctly. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

B

OP
Goldpolk

Goldpolk

Reaction score
From your phone.

Download "Terminal Emulator" from the market.

When you run it, your should get a $ prompt.

type "su" and press enter. You may get a allow or deny request the first time. Allow it and remember it.

After that, you should get a # prompt.

Type in "id" and press enter.

You should see "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

If you do, then you are rooted.

RC

OP
Goldpolk

Goldpolk

Reaction score
Also,

type "exit" and enter to the # prompt and the $ prompt before hitting the home key to ensure you have exited the terminal.

RC

OP
Goldpolk

Goldpolk

Reaction score
To all,

I have checked out Barncle and Samsung Wifi tethers. They do not work. Only Googles Pre 9 code of wifi tether seems to work at this time.

RC

teammccallum3

Reaction score
I could not get the old Wireless Tether or Barnicle to work on my Fascinate but the new Wireless Tether posted works great!

ds2659674

Reaction score
I took advantage of Verizon buy one Fascinate, get one free... One I have Wireless tether (2.0.5-pre9) and it works great to connect my dell PC, my kids Ipod (touch), my older vx6800 phone... only problem is that I cannot seem to get the other Fascinate to see the WiFi connection from the first Fascinate. NOTE: The 2nd Fascinate I activated for my wife, however she went back to her old phone and I want to use the 2nd fascinate to connect to the internet using WiFi, etc... without using the Verizon Network. any ideas...?

doctorwhofan10

Reaction score
I have 2.0.5_pre11 on my fascinate.

01. The tether turns on and I can see if on peer-to-peer or ad-hoc wifi scan, but peer-to-peer networking is disabled by my company on our laptops.

02. I can see if on my Linux laptop, but I am unable to connect to it. It tries and gives up.

Any chance this tether can be made to use "managed" mode than "ad-hoc" mode?

Thanks

-DW

ckamc

Reaction score
that cant be done ds265 without the fascinate being active, since she switched back that cant happen

silverram323

Reaction score
So how does one get wired tethering without rooting the phone?

New to the smart phones so please bear with me.

denver

Reaction score
I need some help, I have tried downloading multiple versions of the tethering app. All seem to work fine, unfortunately after I enable access and try to connect from my PC I do not see my PC in the Connected/Authorized Clients. Any ideas?

denver

Reaction score
Ok so it seems that I can connect another computer through my tethering but my computer doesn't like the computer-computer connection. Does anyone know a work around?

RedSlate

Reaction score
Never mind people. I finally got it to work. I reinstalled my NIC drivers (which I don't think made any difference), and re-downloaded and installed the wireless tether program. It looked like a new one came out a few days ago, and I wasn't using it. Upon the first try, it connected and worked flawlessly. Thanks for everyone's help!!

I've been having the same exact problems as caminator with my tethering experience. Other laptops and my computers at work can recognize my broadcast but my laptop (Win 7) will not connect. I have tried every version available from the link given earlier so I know that re-downloading the program is the fix. I'm pretty sure your success had something to do with the "NIC drivers". What are they? Are they the drivers that are supposed to come with the Fascinate upon connecting for the first time? Please Advise.

::Edit::

I looked for what drivers I could find for the Fascinate and was led to this page for rooted Fascinate drivers on the forum. I have a 32bit system, so I download and run 86x version and after seeing a "successfully installed" page, I get an error message saying that the driver had not properly installed! Something about a "Base system driver". This is my only form of internet, anyone please advise!

Attachments

• Tether Error.png
    Tether Error.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 536