Wifi Tether Issues, Rooted and Romd

artic_acid

Reaction score
Is any one having success with wireless tethering using anything other than the stock Mobile Hotspot app?

I did the TBH hack when not rooted and romd, it worked well for quite awhile, but seemed to break by the OS update. After that I constantly ran into the issue of the "3G data link dropped", even when turn on the wifi before starting the app.

Now with root and a custom rom (Running Eclipse now) it seems none of the other apps work becuase the Mobile hotspot app always tries to start up along with any other wifi tether app like barnacle, even though Im not actually starting Mobile Hotspot.

For now Ive been using Usb and EasyTether...and it works ok, but id much rather use wifi. Not really interested in BT.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
This is more of a Band-Aid, but maybe you should freeze or rename the Mobile Hotspot app.

Check to make sure it's a safe app to "hide," though. Go to Android Central's D3 section and find the list of safe, rename-able apps (I think it's a sticky). If it is, try that.

Hopefully, that will take care of the error messages and allow your other apps to function properly.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
A

artic_acid

Reaction score
I removed "MotHSTCmd" which is supposed to be the Mobile Hotspot APK, but it only seemed to break it and not completely remove it. I guess it actually tied into the OS and status bar. So every time i launch barnicle, the mobile hot spot still shows up.

I think the problem is the Mobile Hotspot starts up first and grabs the DHCP binding, preventing barnacle from issuing IP's.

Last edited:

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I removed "MotHSTCmd" which is supposed to be the Mobile Hotspot APK, but it only seemed to break it and not completely remove it. I guess it actually tied into the OS and status bar. So every time i launch barnicle, the mobile hot spot still shows up.

I think the problem is the Mobile Hotspot starts up first and grabs the DHCP binding, preventing barnacle from issuing IP's.

Why don't you just try freezing it in TiBu? If the other apps won't function properly while it's frozen, unfreeze it. If freezing it doesn't help at all, unfreeze it.

If we know that simple procedure doesn't work, we can approach the problem from a different angle.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Why don't you just try freezing it in TiBu? If the other apps won't function properly while it's frozen, unfreeze it. If freezing it doesn't help at all, unfreeze it.

If we know that simple procedure doesn't work, we can approach the problem from a different angle.

Because the app isn't listed as Mobile Hotspot in TiBu. I answered my own question.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
There's a "hotspot".xml in the Settings.apk.

Maybe removing things isn't the way to go-haha.

I'm trying to think...

nka

Reaction score
Any solution to this question?

Because the app isn't listed as Mobile Hotspot in TiBu. I answered my own question.

Same problem here. @ Chicago Midway and had to purchase access for an hour, rather than using the 3G I am already paying for. Ridiculous Verizon, c'mon. Please someone post a solution to this problem so that we can use Wifi Tether or some other 3rd party app to gain access to the data we already pay for.