Wifi Tether (free)

raw33

Reaction score
So now that I have my Droid 2 rooteddancedroid, could someone explain (like you would to a 2 year old) how to get free wifi tether onto my phone? Thanks

KCR

Reaction score
Download from the app store wireless tether.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is a good app. The Android tether works well also.

Have you successfully tethered your phone to your computer?

karnovaran

Reaction score
I've used both Barnacle and Wireless Tether for Root Users. They both work, but I found the latter to be a bit more reliable.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro and use Android Tether app to tether quite frequently. Here is a copy of the tutorial (Matth3W) I used for the settings:

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

The only caveat, when I try to establish the connection, I need to turn on the access control then once connected, I turn it off.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

pjo1966

Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro and use Android Tether app to tether quite frequently. Here is a copy of the tutorial (Matth3W) I used for the settings:

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

The only caveat, when I try to establish the connection, I need to turn on the access control then once connected, I turn it off.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

before i saw this post, I tried Barnacle. It works perfectly. I'll give WiFi Tether a try with these settings. Thanks.

pjo1966

Reaction score
Those Wireless Tether settings did not work for me. Barnacle works, so i'll stick with that.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry! It is good, however, that Barnacle works.

Mike

pjo1966

Reaction score
Yes it is. And the speeds are better than what I had with AT&T DSL before switching to Time Warner.

I'm sitting an open house now, and can browse using my laptop instead of the Droid. Living in the future is cool! ;)

ckaram

Reaction score
Ok, major noob here. Motorola droid not rooted, running Verizon and 2.2.

I have pdaNet installed and have tethered by USB for sometime now. My laptop does not have bluetooth, so I haven't tried this. I've read that in order to create a hotspot and tether wirelessly, you have to be rooted. Is this true? Pardon my ignorance...