Wifi Tether for Droid 3

tjkriegel

Reaction score
I don't believe any wifi tethering app will work without first doing the tbh radio hack.

snstr1

Reaction score
Grrr.. so no wireless tether with Droid 3 yet?

snstr1

Reaction score
There is a wireless tether hack at [GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers. This hack allows you to use the stock Hotspot app to wirelessly tether. If you aren't comfortable hacking your radio than you will have to used the wired tether.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ya I dont use the wireless tether enough to make it worth the risk of brickin my phone even though it seems like if you follow the steps correctly it is pretty easy. Im going to hold out and hope someone gets "wireless tether" or something like that working soon. Until then Ill stick with easy tether for now.

Ryan57ford

Reaction score
I did the radio hack and it took only about 5 mins.... very easy to do now I tether my zoom to my d3 all the time

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
Grrr.. so no wireless tether with Droid 3 yet?

Wireless tethering is available for the Droid 3 right out of the box. It is called "Mobile Hotspot" and you need to pay Verizon for this service.

If you want 'free' wireless tethering, then you must perform the radio hack and be on guard for the Verizon tethering police.

Bob

snstr1

Reaction score
Wireless tethering is available for the Droid 3 right out of the box. It is called "Mobile Hotspot" and you need to pay Verizon for this service.

If you want 'free' wireless tethering, then you must perform the radio hack and be on guard for the Verizon tethering police.

Bob

Thanks for the info, I am well aware I can pay Verizon for the honor of using my phone as a mobile hotspot if I pay them another $20+ dollars a month but Im under the thinking that the $100+ bucks a month I pay them is enough. I rarely use wireless tether except when I am on army duty and cant get internet any other way. Ill stick to wired tether for now.

spunker88

Reaction score
I still don't get why Verizon blocks wifi tethering. With metered data plans wifi tethering should be free, as an allotment of x GBs of data consumed via a computer is the same as x GBs of data being consumed on a phone. With the old unlimited plans its a little harder to justify. I'm surprised Verizon doesn't do something like this just to trick people to cancel their unlimited plans.

You can also use bluetooth tethering pretty easily. If you don't have bluetooth on your computer you can get a small USB adapter for around $10. Windows 7 supprots bluetooth tethering with no additional software needed. From speed tests its get just as fast on my computer as it is on the device.

REMilk

Reaction score
I still don't get why Verizon blocks wifi tethering. With metered data plans wifi tethering should be free, as an allotment of x GBs of data consumed via a computer is the same as x GBs of data being consumed on a phone. With the old unlimited plans its a little harder to justify. I'm surprised Verizon doesn't do something like this just to trick people to cancel their unlimited plans.

Verizon does NOT block wireless tethering; it is allowed via "Mobile Hotspot" and you are charged for it. I understand that the radio hack allows you to have it for free, but your statement that it is blocked is not completely true.

The TOS for the unlimited data plan since I have had unlimited data (2004/2005) has expressly stated that this (tethering to other devices) was not free (or permitted) and they could terminate your contract for violation. No one was tricked into thinking they could tether for free.

And yes, I have tethered since day one of my Treo. However, I limit my tethering to those places where I have no internet access and by limiting the activity to emails and download/upload of small documents for work. No streaming of audio or video while tethering for me. The amount of data I use while tethering has never been discernible in my over all usage, which ranges from .1 gm per month (mostly on WiFi when working from home) to 2.2 per month (when on travel assignments and no WiFi at client sites).

Just my opinion, most likely yours will differ.
Bob

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Bob

The tethering police? I don't understand how they would pick up on you having hacked the mobile hotspot if you have an unlimited data package?

REMilk

Reaction score
My understanding from the network staff of my company is that device, PC/laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc., has a unique identifier that enables identification over the network. By this identification, Verizon can identify devices on the network. The identification contain sufficient information to also identify the base device such as a Droid. By matching the identification of the base device against those devices that have paid for "Mobile HotSpot", it can be determined what devices are using the service through unauthorized thethering.

Bob

REMilk

Reaction score
The tethering police? I don't understand how they would pick up on you having hacked the mobile hotspot if you have an unlimited data package?

If you have Mobile HotSpot then your Terms of Service (TOS) allows you to share your unlimited (or limited) data plan with other devices.

With Verizon, and maybe all wireless cell companies, you do not purchase unrestricted, unlimited data. The TOS restricts the unlimited data service to the actual, physical device for which you purchased the service and it is not to be used as a pass-through for other devices.

In summary, you have an 'unlimited' (by Verizon's definition) data plan that is restricted to your specific smartphone!

Sorry for the bad news.

Bob

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Well that explanation makes enough sense. I dont understand what verizon sees in the difference between physical tethering and wireless tethering. Just another way to hand you a bill thats far bigger than you expected it to be i suppose. Thanks again for the explanation Bob.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums