WiFi Tether = Extra Charges?...

TheAngryPanda

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and while I found a few topics that alluded to this, I needed a definite answer; Has anyone ever been charged for tethering after rooting their Motorola Droid and installing WiFi Tether? I know that it is possible, and stay under the radar, and all of that.

My main concern is that recently I rooted my Droid and have previous used PDANet as my tethering program. So far Verizon has turned a blind eye to this, as I rarely go over the 5GB Unlimited* cap. If I install WiFi tether, and still use the same precautions I have previously used to 'stay under the radar' as it were, is this going to automatically begin charging me per MB or does it use the phone's existing plan like PDANet does?

As I said I have been searching the forums, but I haven't found a definite answer. So to restate: After rooting and installing WiFi Tether, has anyone actually been charged or had their plan changed to reflect this?

Thank you all in advance, and I hope I entered this in the right section of the forum.

~The Angry Panda dancedroid

*We are all aware of the fine print on the 'Unlimited' plan.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
have not seen anyone get charged for it. they cant tell what youre using the internet for (your phone or to tether) so you should be fine

OP
TheAngryPanda

TheAngryPanda

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I suspected that it was the same sort of work around that PDANet uses for a USB or Bluetooth DUN, but wanted to make sure. Thank you again for the speedy reply. :)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used wi-fi tethering yesterday for the first time for someone who had an IPad and IPod's and he was amazed (I was also).

But I couldn't find a way to turn it off except to re-boot my phone.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You press the middle button again silly

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

Reaction score
then press the home button after u turn off the wifi tether and dont worry about it android is all about multitasking, the app wont use any resources in the background unless u actually have wifi tether turned on and running.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
No charge for rooted tethering unless you're using the official tethering "app" in the settings and you pay Verizon for it. No limit on data usage, but you might want to avoid heavy P2P usage and keep your phone under 50GB or Verizon might wonder what's up and can you on the "fair usage" policy. Notice I said might.

If the app is still running let it run. Your phone is smart enough to swap the memory out and even kill the app if it needs to.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would press stop.

It would refresh the screen as if it were running again. I would press stop again... etc.

Annoying but I don't use it that much.

No charge for rooted tethering unless you're using the official tethering "app" in the settings and you pay Verizon for it. No limit on data usage, but you might want to avoid heavy P2P usage and keep your phone under 50GB or Verizon might wonder what's up and can you on the "fair usage" policy. Notice I said might.

If the app is still running let it run. Your phone is smart enough to swap the memory out and even kill the app if it needs to.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah, sorry, I meant once you've pressed where it says "press to stop" and the bars have turned back to the original color and you no longer have the "transferred up" and "transferred down" or whatever they say at the bottom of the screen, if it's still running let it run because it's not doing anything anymore.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the thing I still have up and down and same color and the wifi on my notifications bar.

Yeah, sorry, I meant once you've pressed where it says "press to stop" and the bars have turned back to the original color and you no longer have the "transferred up" and "transferred down" or whatever they say at the bottom of the screen, if it's still running let it run because it's not doing anything anymore.