Wifi slowly driving me insane...

tomfort

Reaction score
First off, I'll say I use my Droid differently than most; I use pure wifi. I refuse to give money to any company that charges more to send a text message, per kb, than it costs to send the same information to the space station.

/soapbox

Unfortunately, it seems Android doesn't really take into consideration that someone might do this. It feels like the phone is doing everything in it's power to stop me from using my wifi reliably.

My problem is four-fold:

• I can't seem to find an app that will lock the wifi on. Tried Wifi Power Manager, and a couple others. None of seem to work properly. Is this just me?
  • If my Droid goes out of range of a wifi AP, it doesn't try to reconnect when it's in range again.
  • All my apps (Skype, IM client, etc) that rely on a wifi connection are closing themselves if they haven't had wifi for x amount of time.
  • If the app hasn't closed yet, even after reconnecting to wifi, it doesn't automatically sign me back into my account (skype/msn/etc).
Has anyone else run into these issues, and found software to fix them, or found other workarounds?

I'm running BBv0.5 with the stock rom and theme, latest baseband on a FRG22 Droid.