wifi skype for verizon phone???

microgiant13

Reaction score
so heres my delima, i'm deploying to iraq for a year and i have a droid 1 i am picking up the x in two days both will be rooted, i am trying to find a way to use skype off a wifi signal to call phones back home. is there any way i can do this? i have looked around and couldnt find it. it would be running on my x. any help would be great i will be deploying soon within 30 days

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Skype was native wifi, and 3g was the hack....

What about Google Voice?

LT*

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the new Skype app for all carriers is in the Market and it works on wifi. Not sure how it will work in Iraq, but here it can only use wifi and 3g has been disabled. Good luck over there.

OP
M

microgiant13

Reaction score
maybe im mistaken.. i am lookin for the best way to call back home

SGTiger

Reaction score
maybe im mistaken.. i am lookin for the best way to call back home

I have tried the app on strictly wifi and it works. In other words, I put it in airplane mode and then turned on only wifi. I paid around $9 so that I can make unlimited calls to landline and cell phones in the US and Canada for three months. If you're just calling another skype user, there is no charge. I hear the wifi on most bases in Iraq is pretty slow depending upon on the time of day (when a lot of users are on), but I think it should work fine since this is audio only.

astronaut

Reaction score
I just came back from Europe and Skype would NOT work over wifi on my Droid 1. Verizon has disabled some of the Skype functionality. When it did not detect a Verizon 3G signal the Skype app displayed a notice from Verizon then stopped loading. I don't know if this is something new or not but I was VERY disappointed. You might want to check this out more fully.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I just came back from Europe and Skype would NOT work over wifi on my Droid 1. Verizon has disabled some of the Skype functionality. When it did not detect a Verizon 3G signal the Skype app displayed a notice from Verizon then stopped loading. I don't know if this is something new or not but I was VERY disappointed. You might want to check this out more fully.

Ugggh, you do realize there are new versions out right? You're using the version that Verizon put on there right? Verizon doesn't want anyone to make calls over wifi because it takes money away from them. There are many threads on this forum about the Skype app. I will assure you Skype version 1.0.0.538 WILL work on wifi only on my Droid 1. It is a simple matter of enabling airplane mode then enabling wifi only. 3G will not be active and wifi works to make calls.

microgiant13:
You can download the same version as me from this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/xeudoxus/78843-apks-unlocked-apps.html

Here is some more reading if you don't mind skipping through those posters that are obviously incorrect. Further down in the thread you will see that wifi works without 3G:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/86997-skype-calls-over-3g-hacked-already.html

Last edited:

astronaut

Reaction score

Ugggh, you do realize there are new versions out right? You're using the version that Verizon put on there right? Verizon doesn't want anyone to make calls over wifi because it takes money away from them. There are many threads on this forum about the Skype app. I will assure you Skype version 1.0.0.538 WILL work on wifi only on my Droid 1. It is a simple matter of enabling airplane mode then enabling wifi only. 3G will not be active and wifi works to make calls.

microgiant13:
You can download the same version as me from this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/xeudoxus/78843-apks-unlocked-apps.html

Here is some more reading if you don't mind skipping through those posters that are obviously incorrect. Further down in the thread you will see that wifi works without 3G:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/86997-skype-calls-over-3g-hacked-already.html

I appreciate your response. I tried several times to get it to work while I was there but I was using only the version provided by Verizon :mad:

I did not check this forum before I left (my bad).

OP
M

microgiant13

Reaction score
i appreciate all the help, i havent had a chance to try this yet because i dont have a good wifi connection

xmguy

Reaction score
I use it and love it. Works great. Since my phone account is offline now skype via wifi is great

Sent from my Moto Droid using DroidForums App

SGTiger

Reaction score
i appreciate all the help, i havent had a chance to try this yet because i dont have a good wifi connection

If you are already in Iraq, I hear the monthly charge for internet access on base can be expensive. Good luck, stay safe, and thanks for your service.