1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

WiFi Scan, router not found

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by coggs, Jan 11, 2010.

1. coggs

coggs New Member

I have a home Wi-Fi setup using a Linksys WRT160N V2 router. No issues at all with my 3 laptops and wireless printer - yet neither of my Droid Eris phones detect the Wi-Fi even with a scan request. It's not the commonly reported problem of detecting but subsequently dropping the link. It never finds it! I do pick up several near open W-Fi networks, just not my own. I've tried to manually set it up by entering the Network SSID, security type (WPA2 Personal), and password all to no avail. I am set up with AES encryption. I have done searches here but hard to match up similar issues with various solutions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Have you tried the app WiFi Analyzer from the Market..
  3. coggs

coggs New Member

My neighbors open Wi-Fi shows up on the Wi-Fi analyzer - but not mine! I've cold botted the router several times - for what that's worth.
  4. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

I'm having the same issue with my linksys router I have many of my neighbors routers show up and they are all password protected but mines not and it will not show up in the scan I've used wifinder and wifi buddy and the wifi scan on the phone. I've restarted the modem and the router twice and still nothing I can connect to the open netgear router at work but my linksys will not show up. Any ideas or solutions?
  5. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Which type of routers do you have do you have wireless g or n? I've had mine set to N only and it still saw it, but i've also been around a few N only set routers and they don't show up. Also what type of security are you running on your routers if any?
  6. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

I have a linksys wrt54gs with no security running. I think its set to g but I'm really not sure it used to connect untill a copule of days ago then it just stopped showing up.
  7. coggs

coggs New Member

I belive mine is bradcasting in N. It has never been seen by the droid.
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Droid does not use "N"
  9. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Seconded, no N support. Log onto your routers and ensure you have it st to mixed (linksys), or whatever setting gets you G and N, then reset both router and restart your Droid.
  10. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

Hmm ill try it when I get home from work and let you know if that fixes it.
  11. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

so i checked my router and it has the options of mixed B-only or G-only theres no N on my router. should i set it to G-only or what?

::EDIT:: I put my router on G-only and I restarted the modem and the router both along with my phone and it still won't show the freaking connection on my phone. Im about to get pissed off at this whole mess. I was connected to wifi all day at work and its a netgear router. I just don't understand.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

Silly question but... Is your router broadcasting your SSID?
  13. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

No its nor
  14. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

For any device to find your Wireless network it needs to first broadcast it's SSID. Either that or you manually have to add the network to your device. Try adding your home network manually and try connecting or configure your router to broadcast your SSID.
  15. huskur

huskur New Member

I am sure you are only broadcasting in "n". You need to set your router to run a mixed environment. It's simple.....it's in the router webpage.
  16. 640k

640k New Member

SSID broadcast is the most important step.
  17. rjsurfer

rjsurfer New Member

What I have found so far with my Droid is that it will not attach to a router if the SSID is hidden.

Obliviously, if you enter the SSID and the correct password the Droid should login into the router even though it's not broadcasting an SSID, but mine won't.

I had to adjust my router settings to broadcast it's SSID before I can get to it. I'm not too concerned because I'm using Mac address filtering and WPA security.

But I would feel better knowing my address isn't being broadcast across the neighborhood.

Ron W.
  18. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

Well just like yesterday ill try it when I get home from work. So I need to set it to a mixed signal and set up the ssid
  19. barryp3403

barryp3403 New Member

If the Droid is like most devices once it has connected to your network and has that in memory you should be able to log in even without broadcasting the SSID. I'd be curious to know if you can now turn off SSID broadcast and your Droid will still connect. :unsure:
  20. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

In all reality not Broadcasting your SSID doesn't really hide you from someone looking for your network. Your radio sends out beacons constantly to radios connected to it so someone with a good RF sniffer will see your "hidden" network. MAC filtering is the same as someone who really wants to get into your network will spoof the MAC of a connected station. Your best bet for security is using a high-order security code with WPA2 or going the RADIUS authentication route which many home routers do not support. Keep in mind that in many enterprise wifi networks, at least the well planned ones, they will have radios dedicated to security only that will react to suspect activity by deauthenticating suspect stations/APs.

Again, in this case however you should be able to manually input the SSID into the Droid and force it to connect to the SSID through your network settings.
Search tags for this page
android does not see wifi router scanning

android not detecting wifi

android not scanning wireless router
android wlan not found
can not scan wifi
htc wifi not detecting routers
phone doesnt detect router
router not broadcasting ssid
scan wifi not found

scanrouter android

wi fi router not detecting