WiFi reminder

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How do I shut off the WiFi reminder ?

You can't remove the WiFi message from the "Ongoing" area of your pull down notification area without root, but you can get rid of the annoying pop up that periodically appears on screen asking you if you want to connect to WiFi. The process involves using Any Cut to access the settings for it. It definitely works, because I did it shortly after receiving my S3, and I haven't seen the popup again. I'll see if I can find the step-by-step instructions for it and post a link here.

Edit: And here it is on the Verizon Forums.

Here's a copy and paste of the instructions:

Welp...looks like the pesky popup has been cracked too and doesn't even require any "warranty voiding" device modifications. Instructions below (compliments of one of "those" sites) as it shouldn't void any TOS that I'm aware of.

1. Basically, get AnyCut. It's not on the Play Store anymore and is kinda hard to find.
Here ya go: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58526001/anycut.apk

2. Fire up AnyCut and create a new shortcut action, find "HiddenMenuWifiOffloading" and tap it. Go to your home screen and click it, change to Disabled.

This method definitely works because I haven't seen a WiFi popup in the week and a half since I did it. And you can remove the Any Cut shortcut that you created on a homescreen after disabling the pop up.

Last edited:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
my budy works has removed it without root but I've yet to duplicate his removal.

milwbabyboo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! I hated that popup! The joys of unlimited data! Lol

milwbabyboo

Reaction score
Do you know if this can be used to remove the will-fi off notification when you pull down your info bar?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Do you know if this can be used to remove the will-fi off notification when you pull down your info bar?

No, it can't. Removing the WiFi message from the "Ongoing" section of the notification area requires changing some system files, so it requires root access. The above method removes the WiFi reminder that pops up on the screen every now and then when you use an app that connects to the internet while on mobile data.

milwbabyboo

Reaction score
Thank you! The app was definitely worth just getting rid of that annoying pop up! :)

JRParsons

Reaction score
After the feature has been disabled, can the app be removed?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
After the feature has been disabled, can the app be removed?

I removed the shortcut from my homescreen, but I haven't uninstalled the app since I use it for other things. There shouldn't be any problems with uninstalling it though. The setting isn't dependant on the app. The app is just a way to get to the setting menu.

767pilot

Reaction score
im having trouble with the "find HiddenMenuWifiOffloading" step. is that what you put in anycut or are you saying to find tbat? either way im missing something
lost:blink:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
im having trouble with the "find HiddenMenuWifiOffloading" step. is that what you put in anycut or are you saying to find tbat? either way im missing something
lost:blink:

1. Download and install Any Cut
2. Open Any Cut
3. Tap "New shortcut"
4. Tap "Activity"
5. Scroll down the list to "HiddenMenuWifiOffload" and tap it
6. Tap OK
7. Go to your homescreen where the shortcut is located (it should look like a gear in front of a Windows dialog box)
8. Tap on the short cut.
9. Select "Disable WifiOffloading
10. Tap OK
11. A message will popup at the bottom of the screen that says "Wifi offloading is now disabled"
12. Tap the back button to exit from the WiFi offloading hidden menu.

The WiFi popup message is now disabled. You can delete the shortcut from your homescreen and uninstall Any Cut if you like (although I'd recommend keeping Any Cut).

767pilot

Reaction score
1. Download and install Any Cut...The WiFi popup message is now disabled. You can delete the shortcut from your homescreen and uninstall Any Cut if you like (although I'd recommend keeping Any Cut).

OK, now it makes sense. I didn't know that you could scroll down that list, I was trying to type it in with no success. Thanks for the clarification!!!
This phone has a bit of a learning curve as you get into it!