Wifi randomly drops at home

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by skyman.2112, Jul 3, 2013.

1. skyman.2112

skyman.2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is a common issue in forums i read, so far nobody has a fix. Just wondering if anyone else heard anything. Randomly drops the wifi signal even when your only 10 feet away. Its only a year old modem, Linksys E1200. Every other device has a strong continous signal. Also, it will reboot from time to time also cant figure that one out either. On my second phone already, only loaded the basic apps. Help!!!:icon_eek:

2. leeshor

leeshor Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,681
    This sounds like a classic issue with the router, not the phone. Never assume that because other devices work fine that an Android phone or tablet will as well. Most of those devices use different chips to drive the WiFi that react differently to the various chipsets used in the routers. (the way to prove this is to go to a public hotspot to see if the same thing happens).

There are usually solutions, changing the security if it's WEP to WPA and/or changing channel or simply restarting the router frequently solve the problem. I have a link in my signature with additional possibilities.

3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,366
    What I found on my Linksys router to keep it playing nice with my Android devices is to reboot it about once every other week.
    On my Belkin I have to reboot it every few days.
    Both play very nice with the Windows and ios machines without reboots but Android is a different story.
    There's probably a tweak or update I could do to the router but a reboot works just fine and I don't have to worry about messing up my network by being upgrade illiterate.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

• Like Like x 1
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,758
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    Also often overlooked, especially with new routers, but almost always the case with older ones...upgrade the firmware. Even right off the shelf, routers can have one or more firmware updates on the corporate website and quite often they are to address known problems such as you describe. Go to the manufacturer's site, look for "support" or "upgrades" or "firmware", and then search for your particular router model. Don't forget to amke sure the "Version" of the router matches the firmware as often there are several versions of the same model - each with different chip-sets and requiring completely different firmware. If you flash the wrong firmware to a router, you can turn it into a paperweight.

5. wcjeep

wcjeep Active Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Does the phone have Wifi only issues with "N"? How does it react with "G"? I ran hard lines to other parts of my house for the "G" routers I bought at Target for $20 each. I have the same internet speeds as the "N". "G" plays nice with current and older devices. The newer devices in the house connect to the "N" next to the modem.

6. skyman.2112

skyman.2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried unplugging it at first, but it didnt help. Its already set to WPA2 and i looked through the routers admin page and didnt see any way to change the channel. I upgraded the firmware and will see what that does. My other androide phone, galaxy s1, didnt have this problem either. Keep you posted, thanks!

7. YellowJacket

YellowJacket Active Member

Ratings:
    +35
    skyman,

Does it drop ALL wifi connections or just the one at home? If so, then as the others stated, it is more than likely a problem with your router and not the phone.

I have similar problems with mine at home but not at work and other areas with wifi. (most of them)

If not already mentioned above, go into settings > wifi > then hit the bottom left MENU soft key > advanced > check the box for "avoid poor connections" (or uncheck it). See if that helps.

You may also want to go into your router settings and change the channel if a lot of other networks around you are on the same channel. I use an app from Amped Wireless called Wifi Analytics to see which channels are free and set my router to them. That seems to help. Channel 1, 6, and 11 seem to be the most popular in my neighborhood so I picked one of the others that wasn't used.

Also, if all your wireless equipment is "n", you can change your router to n only to get the maximum performance out of it. If you have mixed devices (G and n) the router has to compromise for both which IMHO degrades overall quality of signal.

David

• Like Like x 1
  8. skyman.2112

skyman.2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Unchecking avoid poor connections helped some but it still dropped. Then i found a firmware update and now its fine. Would like to change the channel though and band setting to N but looked all over the settings page of the router and cant find it. Its a linksys so i will have to spend more time looking. Thanks for the help !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. FoneHome

FoneHome Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S4
    I have the same problem. But unless I'm next to the router it keeps going in and out. My room is like three rooms away from the router. So, I'm guessing in my case there is a distance problem. But that shouldn't make a difference since I'm in the same house. Who knows. Right now I have all the bars filled. However when I go to my room, there is one to two bars max and it goes out at times. Very annoying...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

10. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Senior Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Current Phone Model:
    G2
    thats a pretty weak signal imo
    i have a router that i never use, but i thought there was a way or setting to turn up the output.
    maybe yours has that

11. leeshor

leeshor Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,681
    Check my WiFi link below for some suggestions. Something as simple as changing the channel could do the trick, possibly a change in the type of security. There are some tools listed that will help diagnose the problem.

12. skyman.2112

skyman.2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +1

I got my third razr maxx HD from verizon, the wifi issue is gone. Same apps and everything as my old phone. Just a bad batch of chipsets i would assume. Have you noticed you never see any fixes for any issues here? Just reset the phone or blame it on 3rd party apps LOL.:p

Search tags for this page
droid razer max wifi drop fix

htc rezound suddenly dropping wifi

lg g2 constantly losing wifi

lg g2 wifi weak signal

lg optimus g shuts off wifi
lg optimus wifi weak signal
random wifi drops on android

why is bionic losing wifi

wifi drops lg g2

wifi keeps disconnecting lg35g