Wifi Question

ChelseaGoldfish

Reaction score
So after seeing the $18000 bill man and hearing his tethering problem AFTER the fact that I think I've done this I'm starting to sweat bullets.
Yesterday I took a video using my phone and could not get it to load on anything other then youtube. However, it would not download to youtube unless I used wifi so I set it up at home with mine (which is also verizon) for the split second I needed for it to download successfully and then turned it off.
My question is whether this will cost me anything or not?
We have the $25 data plan or whatever the highest is but last month my mother got an outrageous bill and the people never actually answered it well. I'm seeing in some threads that different things aren't placed under the data plan even though it says unlimited? Like what? This seems ridiculous, if it isn't unlimited is it not illegal to be putting that everywhere?
Thank you to anyone who helps me out, I'm starting to have panic attacks.

Reaction score
No if you are using wifi to upload/download something, then it is using your regular internet to do this only over your router. Tethering is using your phone as a router. In other words, you are using your Verizon signal to get on the internet or what have you on you laptop, using the cell towers.

OP
C

ChelseaGoldfish

Reaction score
Edited:
Will I get a large bill for using it to move the video from my phone to youtube? I was only for maybe 5 minutes and then I turned the wifi off on my phone.
I realize I'm just basically asking the question stated above again but all of this is very confusing to me.
I have never downloaded anything from the internet onto my phone besides apps from the app store already on the droid but I'll serf the web just off the droid itself, could this also be hurting me even with the "Unlimited" data plan?
We have our internet bill, fios bill, and phone bill all connected into one but last month my mother said the bill was something like $900 just because of the phones? The lady also never gave us a clear understanding of what we were doing wrong thats why I'm also adding on more questions.
I apologize if I'm not being clear and thanks for the additional help!

OP
C

ChelseaGoldfish

Reaction score
No if you are using wifi to upload/download something, then it is using your regular internet to do this only over your router. Tethering is using your phone as a router. In other words, you are using your Verizon signal to get on the internet or what have you on you laptop, using the cell towers.

Will I still get "popped" for this though?

Reaction score
No. Stop worrying.

Unless you are using your COMPUTER to surf the net using your PHONE'S 3G connection, you have nothing to fear. You are truly unlimited.

Since you seem to not understand how tethering works, I'm going to go ahead and say you're in the clear.

In fact, by connecting your phone to your home wifi, you've done the exact OPPOSITE of tethering. Chill out, have a beer, and never fear! :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing in some threads that different things aren't placed under the data plan even though it says unlimited?
You'd have to give us links to the threads that you're talking about. Otherwise we're just randomly guessing.

Whether you download/upload to Youtube over 3G of WiFi from the Droid itself there's nothing to be worried about. Unlimited is unlimited on 3G. On WiFi it doesn't matter -- Verizon can't bill you for using your own (or anyone that isn't Verizon's) WiFi.