WiFi question

Conz

Reaction score
Shouldn't it be faster than 3g when I'm home and within range of my modem/router, or am I way off here? I literally can't even get on the internet with WiFi. Is it bc my modem is old and sucks or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Reaction score
It could be a little of both. How old is your wifi router? How fast is your home internet? Lots of variables.

From my Inc 2.

sjpritch25

Reaction score
I stick with wifi at home & elsewhere when its encrypted. Plus it doesn't count towards your data.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
i have comcast. im on a different floor from my modem, and my router is at least 5 years old... i know it sucks, but i dont think it sucks to the point that i cant even open the browser using wifi.

Rhayader

Reaction score
Try using a laptop or another phone on your wifi network from the same location. Also, try you phone on wifi within just a few feet of the router.

That should tell you whether your problem is with your phone, with your network, or if you're simply too far from your router.

Sent from the Planet Express ship using the Fing-Longer.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
There's an app called WiFiAnalyzer that could help you see your WiFi signal in various parts of the house and how the strength varies near and far away from the router.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
was just at my buddy's house and used wifi. its definitely my router. it's always been terrible, and i guess the phone doesn't even sync up with it at all.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Id like to say this author seeming the arse but... Could your router have been set to Mac id security....? And you are not on the list? Do you have anything else wifi that does work on it?
I say this from experience as I'm having to constantly add Mac id's to mine and I've had a router lose just the wifi radio and still work hard lined...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
I downloaded the WiFi analyzer and its at -80. Does that suck? I can actually access the net w. WiFi right now, I shut my desktop down, that's probably why.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Based on my experience with my Xoom tablet, with the signal between -90 and -80, it sometimes can't lock on. Sometimes one bar shows, other times, none. If the signal stays about -80, I'll get one bar and the connection is fairly consistent. My router is in one corner of the basement and the Xoom is on the second floor, in the opposite corner of the house. I bought a cheap ($2) booster antenna on Amazon, and if I tilted the angle somewhat, it helped. Then I bought another antenna with a 6' cable and was able to locate the antenna on the first floor above the ductwork. That was just enough to make the signal consistently strong enough to avoid dropouts.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
hm, i need to investigate this further, b/c now my internet connection on my desktop sucks after boot up. it just never works out with this router. meanwhile when comcast comes they say my house has top notch speeds. i dont get it.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I am betting on the router. I had a d-link that started failing that was doing similar things. Also, some routers (especially low end or older ones) have unreasonably low limits of simultaneous connections they allow, so if you are downloading a torrent or something, it can cause you to be unable to open any new connections through the router. I recommend SmallNetBuilder for great reviews and benchmarks on routers (and NAS and other equipment). Here is a link to their router charts as to what are the best routers out there by different metrics - Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput - SmallNetBuilder. Pay attention to Maximum Simultaneous Connections. The more the better, but anything above the 4096 number is good for home use unless you are downloading 50 torrents at the same time.