Wifi problems

roberj13

Reaction score
First I want to say I just got my Droid, after watching this forum for a few weeks while I was deciding. I am so glad I did so far! This phone is great and I am sure I am just beginning to unlock its potential. This site has been a great help since there are 2 people at work that have this phone and they are amazed that I know so much about the phone on my second day.

I do have one problem so far. My Droid says it is connected to my wifi network, but nothing that uses the internet will work. Browser, facebook, market, etc. I will get calls, texts, and gmail notifications however. It is WEP encrypted and I've tried "unremembering" the wifi network and then typing in the password again about 3 times now. The phone also says that the connection strength is excellent and I show all bars.

I have only downloaded a few apps so far and don't think they would be the reason for the internet working as far as I can tell.

I have installed, a better keyboard, swype, handcent, slacker, pandora, .

Thanks in advance everyone.

mjs31

Reaction score
So your wifi is setup. When you go into wifi settings, what does it show under the wifi networks? Is yours listed? If so, does it say connected under your router? For example...when I am connected to my Dlink wireless (which is also WEP encrypted) it says "Dlink" and then underneath that it says "connected"

OP
roberj13

roberj13

Reaction score
Yes, when I go to settings/wifi settings/"mynetwork"/ it says connected. I click on that and it says, WEP, 54Mbps, Excellent and an IP address.

But for example if I then go to Android Market it will sit there for about 2 minutes and then say unable to connect to server. Same with the browser.

Turn of wifi, and life resumes as normal.

I haven't been able to try any other networks to be sure if it is just my network my phone doesn't like or any network.

mjs31

Reaction score
May I ask what it lists for your IP address? If you have a linksys router it should list something like 192.168.1.100 or 101 etc...
With a Dlink it should list 192.168.0.100 or 101 etc..
If this ip address is listed something like the ones above you should try below with the power and battery pulls. If it is giving something completely different then your router is not assigning you a good IP address.

Ok. I hate to ask this since I don't want you to think this is needed all the time, but have you pulled the battery? If not, first try shutting down your phone via the top button. If it doesnt work after starting it back up, try pulling the battery and restarting.

silverx10

Reaction score
I have this same problem with mine. Constantly.

I'll have to go into the Wi-Fi settings and turn it off, then back on. Either it'll find my network again on its own, or I'll have to go into the Available Networks area. If that's the case, it'll say, "Out of range, remembered" below it for a few seconds before finally connecting without an issue.

mjs31

Reaction score
I have this same problem with mine. Constantly.

I'll have to go into the Wi-Fi settings and turn it off, then back on. Either it'll find my network again on its own, or I'll have to go into the Available Networks area. If that's the case, it'll say, "Out of range, remembered" below it for a few seconds before finally connecting without an issue.

question: When this happens is your wifi symbol still showing at the top? I have had it where I turn wifi on but it does not connect (typically this will occure when I use the power widget). Then when I click on the wifi settings link it connects right away. When this happens the wifi symbol does not show until it is connected.

His situation is something different. His is saying he has a strong connection, but something is not allowing it (he does not get the out of range or no connection like you see). If his wifi is not on, then it should revert to his cell connection anyway. He goes in checks everything out and it still does not allow connections even though it says it should.

justbob

Reaction score
Roberj13: Check to see if your DNS is working correctly. Sounds to me like you don't have any name resolution.

Nickmast

Reaction score
Are the coworkers with the droids having problems with their wifi connections at work as well?

SamFox

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Droid using WiFi on the WEP (encrypted), then I changed to the WAP/WAP2 (encrypted) then the WiFi started working. Now, every once-in-a-while the WiFi will lock-up then I will need to re-boot the phone to re-set the WiFi again, not sure why?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got this tip on another thread and some of you may want to try this. This is for those having trouble with wifi at home. Try placing the phone in airplane mode and then turning on the wifi. I just tried it and wifi appears to be working great in this mode.

Hope this helps, it sure did for me.

OP
roberj13

roberj13

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that replied! I changed the encryption on the wireless router to WPA2-PSK (AES) and that solved the problem. I don't really know why WEP encryption would have been causing the problem, but it works now.

Now I just need to change it on all of my other wifi devices....:icon_eek:

Thanks again everyone.

basr

Reaction score
I'm having problems connecting to my wifi:
It was on mixed g/n with WPA2 with AES encryption, but I couldn't get any data transmitted. I did get connected though.

I changed router settings to N, with WPA2 with AES encryption, and that gives me some data, but intermittendly. 3G/HDSPA seems to be much faster as well.

What are other people's configurations for a wireless connection with the Droid Pro? I would like to stick with N, since my two laptops both support that.

My router is a TP-Link WR1043ND (Welcome to TP-LINK), that has run fine for the past year.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm having problems connecting to my wifi:
It was on mixed g/n with WPA2 with AES encryption, but I couldn't get any data transmitted. I did get connected though.

I changed router settings to N, with WPA2 with AES encryption, and that gives me some data, but intermittendly. 3G/HDSPA seems to be much faster as well.

What are other people's configurations for a wireless connection with the Droid Pro? I would like to stick with N, since my two laptops both support that.

My router is a TP-Link WR1043ND (Welcome to TP-LINK), that has run fine for the past year.
I haven't had any problems using WiFI. My home setup is a Belkin router, 802.11 G, WEP. I have also had no problem connecting to WiFI at hotels etc, not sure what their set up was.

basr

Reaction score
I failed to add that I don't have any problems on an unsecured network in work.
Nor do I have problems with a WPA2 TKIP secured network with G speeds.

I did find some people in the Droid X section having problems with N networks. Are we using the same Wifi radio as them?

theory87

Reaction score
I had the same problems until I switched my router to G only. It seems that the phone doesn't play well with the N standard.