WiFi or 4G While Home?

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I just recently got 4G in my area. Based on speed tests, it's about twice as fast as my WiFi. I know 4G consumes more power, but when I'm home is there a reason to use WiFi anymore? I have an unlimited data plan. At home battery power is not an issue, since I can charge the phone whenever it needs it.

Thanks!

RH

LiquidRazrMaxx

Reaction score
Well it depends. If you really need that extra speed for downloading stuff I would say go for it.

Sent from my Egypticus Spaceship using Droid Razr Maxx

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use wifi when home, my wifi is also blazing fast, I have verizon Fios 35/35 mb plan. I also have unlimited wireless data plan, but have no reason to use my 4G while at home.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I'd suggest trying WiFi when available and watch your 4G usage, for several months. Then try 4G only for a few months. Then you will know how much data you really need to cover your 4G. Then if Verizon ever comes out with a data plan for less than the minimum of $30/month, you will know if it will suffice. I'm keeping an eye on Republic Wireless with their $19/month for everything plan (unlimited voice, texts, data) that relies on the majority of one's usage via WiFi. If they become successful, Verizon and others may have to offer some less expensive plans.

geesterman

Reaction score
wifi

hi, new to this forum, so jumping in the middle. how do you post a new thread or post? thanks, gerard

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just recently got 4G in my area. Based on speed tests, it's about twice as fast as my WiFi. I know 4G consumes more power, but when I'm home, is there a reason to use WiFi anymore? I have an unlimited data plan, and at home battery power is not an issue, since I can charge the phone whenever it needs it.

Thanks!

RH

Install a widget for your 4g and/or wifi and turn them off when not using. I use wifi out of habit at home as it seems to not be as much of a battery drain as 4g when idle. I switch to 4g for downloads and uploads though because, as you wrote, my 4g is faster than my wifi.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

OP
RezoundHound

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll just continue using WiFi while at home. It's still plenty fast enough. Besides, that'll conserve 4G bandwidth for others who need it.

RH

vinnyjr1

Reaction score
My 4G at my house is also twice as fast as my wifi connection but I figure why waste when I can use free Wifi. I guess I'm just trying to be a good Verizon Customer. I'm really liking this new Rezound, coming from the Thunderbolt I will say the radios are much more powerful. The signal is very strong and everything just works. I haven't rooted this yet and I usually have any phone I own rooted before I sign in. The only thing that would make this better is a stronger battery that is stock sized.
Vinny