Wifi only, no voice/data

dajakal

Reaction score
I'm going on travel for awhile and want to take my droid, but only to use at wifi hotspots. I know I will be in CDMA networks at least some of the time, and I don't want to be getting calls or texts or pulling data anywhere. Does the roaming checkbox in Wireless & Network settings stop the phone from that?

iDroid

Reaction score
In Mexico and Canada I put my phone in Airplane mode with Wi-Fi turned on. That has always worked for me.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the original question, but putting in airplane mode and then turning on wifi works.

One other setting you might be interested in...if you go to your wifi account and press the phone's menu key, you'll see advanced options. From here, you can set wifi to stay always on. I wouldn't normally do this, but if you are using skype you can turn this on and basically have a working phone as long as you're around wifi.

OP
D

dajakal

Reaction score
Huh, so wifi works with airplane mode? I did not know that, and I thought airlines don't like wifi unless they're selling it. No wonder no flight attendant will accept "airplane mode" as an excuse to have a phone on :)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I don't know about other phones but on my Droid you can put it in airplane mode and then go turn on wifi...and it'll still be in airplane mode. I imagine that this is because they are now or will "soon" have wifi on some airplanes.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
WiFi still works while in airplane mode. Delta (and probably others) have in-flight WiFi which they will gladly sell you for an outrageous price.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
I don't know about the original question, but putting in airplane mode and then turning on wifi works.

One other setting you might be interested in...if you go to your wifi account and press the phone's menu key, you'll see advanced options. From here, you can set wifi to stay always on. I wouldn't normally do this, but if you are using skype you can turn this on and basically have a working phone as long as you're around wifi.

Sorry... stealing thread for just a second. Has Skype changed on the Droid? When I last tried it out, they had disabled WiFi usage for VoIP calls, forcing you onto the VZW network.

And back to thread, I'll agree with others. You can use WiFi while in airplane mode.