Wifi on computer stops working after using wifi on droid

geronimogman

Reaction score
its actually weird, like if im using wifi on my droid then i turn it off and try to connect on my laptop it says my network can not be connected to, but after about half n hour i can connect once again, I can have them both connected simultaneous if i have the laptop connected first. but this is killing me! anyone have the same problem, unrooted droid

Vitticeps

Reaction score
something quirky going on with the DHCP server on the router. I'd double check the router settings and make sure you don't have it set to only allow X number of connections.

Other than that I'm not sure exactly what it would be but that's where I'd start. Pull up the DHCP table on the router, connect both and see if both show in the table and what IPs they have. Disconnect the Droid and check again. See what devices it thinks are still connected and what IP's they have now.

B

bthomp21

conflicting ip? make sure your laptop is set to automatically obtain ip. release and renew your ip settings.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with the term "unrooted Droid." It's a stock Droid.;)

I don't know about the wifi thing, my wife's laptop always works great on wifi my Droid is hit and miss. I also have a Wireless N Router and I've heard those can cause some issues with the Droid.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
The details vary depending on the router but usually you just log in to the router from a browser window by going to the router's internal IP address (usually 192.168.1.1). Try looking up the manual for your router if you're not sure how to log in. Once you're in, you'll have to look around in the settings a little bit. It will probably be in an Advanced category.

mozicodo

Reaction score
I've been noticing similar problems with my WiFi since getting my droid. However, I dismissed it to coincidence, but seeing others with this problem I figured I'd try it out. After stopping and starting my WiFi a couple times over the past few days on the droid, I think it's safe to say there is a correlation. According to my router it's picking up a unique address. The slowdown also will effect the Droid as well eventually.

I'm a geek but not a network expert so if anyone has any suggestions for sniffing the network traffic to see what's going on I'm open to suggestions. We're running both Windows and Ubuntu here.

mozicodo

Reaction score
I also noticed. Switching WiFi off doesn't immediately solve the problem but turning the phone off does. Obviously, WiFi showing as off doesn't necessarily mean that it's off.

OP
G

geronimogman

Reaction score
i went into the hdcp table and it told me that both were connected n work fine but said nothing about allowing x number of connections at once..the problem only happens when im connected to wifi on my droid then open my laptop n try to connect also but if i disconnect the droid first then logon to my laptop no problem...sounds to me that the droid is a HOG!

R

Romple

Sounds like an ip conflict to me.

What make/model router do you have?

When this happens again, check the IP addresses on both your Droid and your Laptop.

Not 100% sure on checking Droid's IP. Might have to download an app to pull it out (MyIP I think?).

On your computer Start - Run - type "cmd" hit enter, type "ipconfig" hit enter.

If they're the same then there's your problem.

mozicodo

Reaction score
I had an extra wifi router around so I bridged that with my providers and disabled wifi on the other one. No problems so far.

The only significant feature difference between the two is mine is 802.11n.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
G

geronimogman

Reaction score
i have the linksys cisco systems router wrt110 i went into the ipconfig and it just gave me my computer ip address the droid doesnt show up

mozicodo

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my router in which I disabled the wifi. My droid showed up fine but what must have been my wife's droid showed as 0.0.0.0.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
G

geronimogman

Reaction score
It only conflicts when i am on my droid first then try to connect to wifi on my laptop...its not that big of a deal but i sometimes slip and forget and its just a huge hassle! cmon DROID!!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
It's not the droid, it's your laptop. It's not possible for the droid to prevent another device from working. Almost certainly an IP conflict.

The droid is given an IP by the router, then when you turn on the computer it attempts to use the same IP. Since the droid is already connected using that IP, the laptop has no connectivity.

On the laptop, open the network configuration and make sure it's set to obtain IP address automatically. In windows XP go to control panel, network connections, wireless network connection (or whatever your wireless connections is named, sometimes named whatever your wireless card is), properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), properties, obtain ip address automatically.
I don't use Vista or 7 but the setting should be in a similar place.

I'm 99.9% sure that's the solution.