wifi not working

faez6767

Reaction score
i got a turbo on 10/31, and my data usage went up from below 1gb to over 2 in the first month, and then this month went to over 5gb.. found out it wasnt staying connected to the wifi at work or home, i do/did have the "avoid poor connections" disabled.. i took the phone in on saturday and had them replace it.. but i cannot get the new phone to connect to the wifi either.. but if i put in the backup wifi and restart the phone it will connect to that one..

just for more info on it.. i never had this problem with my Maxx and my nexus is connected to the main wifi just fine.

anyone got ideas?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is a known issue.. Try this... First call and let vzw know you're having the problem.. They've been giving an extra gig of data for users that have this issue..

Next.. When you switch to WiFi toggle airplane mode on first.. Then toggle WiFi on.. Then turn airplane mode off... This has been having mixed results for owners of the turbo..

Obviously the most imperative part of this is to call vzw.. Let them know you're having the issue.. And make sure they don't try to bill you for the overage.. If you incur any.

They should be able to credit you for any overages as well..

Hodor

Reaction score
Sadly, I believe it's just the poor design of this phone. I too, recently bit the bullet and upgraded to a new turbo from my razr maxx hd, and now I find my wifi connects at half the distance that my old phone would! And the 2.4g seems particularly bad, when I do connect the UL/DL speeds are all over the place! 5 g seems to me to be a lot more stable, but as expected has even shorter range. Very very disappointed in this phone, I have always had Motorola and their radios (ALL their radios) were stellar. This, with the loss of data and voice at the same time is seriously making me reconsider my purchase. Seems more and more that they just rushed this phone out to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season.

OP
F

faez6767

Reaction score
This is a known issue.. Try this... First call and let vzw know you're having the problem.. They've been giving an extra gig of data for users that have this issue..
I spoke with them on saturday, charges will not be a problem..

Next.. When you switch to WiFi toggle airplane mode on first.. Then toggle WiFi on.. Then turn airplane mode off... This has been having mixed results for owners of the turbo..
normally i just leave the wifi on, so it automatically connects to the wifi when in range... i am not worried about battery life.. but even using that sequence of actions i cannot get it to connect to the main wifi at work..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sadly, I believe it's just the poor design of this phone...I have always had Motorola and their radios (ALL their radios) were stellar...Seems more and more that they just rushed this phone out to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season.

I heartedly disagree. The most likely problem is an older router that is either outdated or needs an update to its firmware. Go to the website for the router and make sure you're in the most recent version of firmware.

If it is, then it's time to replace the router. If not, then do the update and then reboot both the router and the phone.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I spoke with them on saturday, charges will not be a problem..

normally i just leave the wifi on, so it automatically connects to the wifi when in range... i am not worried about battery life.. but even using that sequence of actions i cannot get it to connect to the main wifi at work..
The part of toggling airplane mode and WiFi is a work around that can stop this issue.. For now.. Not just a mere suggestion.. In fact.. This is what moto currently suggests...

Hodor

Reaction score
I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. The router is barely a year old and has all the current updates available. It seems to work fine with the other 3 phones in the house. Hard to argue when I can stand in my garage (which is not attached to my house) and connect fine, though not the strongest signal, with my razr maxx hd, but can't even see the router with the turbo. And believe it or not, I am usually not picky about these things, but I am just not feeling the wow factor I thought I would, that's all

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's not a design issue.. Its a hand off issue.. Software.. The turbos hardware is as good as it comes... The software was half baked.. And rushed.. Which is odd.. Considering they took so long to debut the device..

If you're having that issue.. You may consider exchanging the turbo.. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.. Do it before 14 days.. So you can get a new one.. Not a refurbished.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe there are some great things coming to the Turbo with "Updates"... IF current issues are indeed Software related. Tough to OTA a hardware issue but software and more time could be Big - We shall see.
I gotta think it's in Moto's best interest to NOT have a bit of a "pooper" as a Flagship.
Camera
Reception
Battery
Glitches
etc..... Just sayin':confused:

I feel I must add, I like my phone but it's a little like when one of my kids (who are very very smart) bring home a medicre report card. I still Love them but it pains me because I KNOW what their potential is. A "Miss" is because of a very doable small issue that was simply ... missed NOT because they couldn't have knocked one out of the park.
Lifes successes are sometimes determined by inches, not miles.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hear that. Not knowing what went on internally.. I'd think they would've done a bit of a better job with this device.. It makes me wonder.. Perhaps if some last minute changes were made.. You know.. Mid way through its process... And left some bumps... But who knows..

Hodor

Reaction score
I just need a solid phone that will do voice and data simultaneously. I knew it when I bought it, so I can't complain too much, but the poor wifi and camera may push me over I have about 4 days left to decide. I don't know who to blame here, Motorola, Verizon, or both? (or me!)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Unless the issue is with software from Verizon it would be very hard to blame them. This is clearly a Motorola issue.

This is the new norm for most OEMs now a days. Release beta software on the masses, toss out an update or two, and then release a major update that has all of the stuff ironed out months later.

I have been dealing with this problem on my i6 Plus as well. Each update has me scratching my head more and more as to exactly where Apple's quality control has gone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Half baked software would be an issue for both moto and vzw... Especially the no voice over data... That was vzw dropping the ball.. The hand off issue I'd say was moto... But definitely half baked on both sides... Imho

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just need a solid phone that will do voice and data simultaneously. I knew it when I bought it, so I can't complain too much, but the poor wifi and camera may push me over I have about 4 days left to decide. I don't know who to blame here, Motorola, Verizon, or both? (or me!)
Well, I don't know. I had 4 days left at one point and I stuck with the Turbo. In my house, I think Samsung has the winning hand but I don't know what updates will bring (who does).
I recently took Mark Levinson out of my Home Theatre system and bought a Sony receiver. I then found out Sony came out with a new "Flagship" so I returned AVP #1 ($565) and went and bought Flagship ($1700) with less features and less bells and whistles . Why?
Because Sound matters to me more than wiFi, B-tooth and whatever else.
Bottom line, it's about Performance and what matters to "You".
Gotta make one person Happy, everybody else - has "Moods" so forget about "making" them happy, that is a fools game.

OP
F

faez6767

Reaction score
I heartedly disagree. The most likely problem is an older router that is either outdated or needs an update to its firmware. Go to the website for the router and make sure you're in the most recent version of firmware.

If it is, then it's time to replace the router. If not, then do the update and then reboot both the router and the phone.
I'm not sure what the router is at work... But I have the same problem at home.. In order to get it to connect I have to restart the phone or toggle the airplane mode.. And my router is new and up to date..