WiFi not connecting and how I got it to connect

Spey

Reaction score
Those having issue with WiFi connectivity may also want to consider the possibility they may have frequency conflicts and interference with other device in their environment. I had forgotten about rooting out these types of problems in our environmental already, but others may not have given this consideration. First thing that comes to mind for me are 2.4GHz cordless phones, but also include the following:
Quote:
... the many other types of devices emitting in the unlicensed band dwarf the number of 802.11 devices. These devices include microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, Zigbee devices, fluorescent lights, WiMAX, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions. These non-802.11 types of interference typically don't work cooperatively with 802.11 devices, and can cause significant loss of throughput. In addition, they can cause secondary effects such as rate back-off, in which retransmissions caused by interference trick the 802.11 devices into thinking that they should use lower data rates than appropriate.

I would assume most may be having issues directly related to their device settings and/or their network (WiFi router) settings, but there should be at least a general understanding that some may experience "intermittent" connectivity issues that could be related to environmental situations (is your 2.4Ghz WiFi router sitting right next to you cordless phone and/or phone-base ..., maybe your xBox, ...etc.?).

Last edited:

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Sort - Thank you for all the info. It is really appreciated. As fat as data, I'm not to worried about myself. I rarely go over 1g month. At least before I found this forum, since then my usage has gone up a little. Its my sister in law that we put on our plan. It's her first smartphone, and I have no idea what she's gonna use. My wife is connected to wifi at home and work, so she will rarely go over .4g. I'll definitely watch the usage, and I'll be grabbing a new router soon. Thank again!

Spey

Reaction score
Another example of using device to monitor data usage, and why.

A few days ago my battery was almost exhausted at 3/4 through the day (Dec 19th). First reviewed the battery usage stats and notice Google Maps pretty high on the list (large part of the day was driving using Google Maps so didn't think to much about it at the time). Next day was thinking still too much battery consumption, so make cursory review of Data Usage (described in previous post). Data Usage was up quite a bit for same period of time. Searching for a reason why this might be, came up with Google Maps update to 6.14.2 happening around same time as my battery drain day.

Here's a thread started by another user who seems to of experienced same issue as I (and how to correct).
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...batt-drain-if-location-reporting-enabled.html

Battery Monitor told me what was excessively using up my battery.
Data Usage Monitor told me it was also consuming lot's of Data from my plan.

Last edited: