WiFi not connecting and how I got it to connect

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Never had a phone not connect to our Cisco wireless router before this phone. I simply hit RESET on the router, then immediately hit the CONNECT on the phone and it connected just fine. Before that all it would do is SAVE(?) the info for the router. That was strange. But I think the phone tells you to hit another button on the router, which our old router does not have so I tried that.

Spey

Reaction score
* reduce the variables that could be causing problems - a couple thoughts for your consideration *

Couple presumed things - WiFi on the phone needs to be on, you have "preferred" WiFi account(s) setup in the phone along with appropriation security settings and passwords, and you have the WiFi frequency set appropriately according to your wishes/needs (more on this below).

I have never used that "button on the router" (auto-connect, NOT speaking of the reset-button). I believe all that it does is automatically allow a device to connect without having to enter the pass-code for the network router. The router allows you to bypass having to enter the pass-code, because you have physical access to the equipment (therefore kinda assumed you should be allowed to connect via this type of auto-connect hard-key). I have always preferred to enter the pass-codes myself, as a means of reconfirming everything is as it should be (at least the first time a device connects to my router. During first connection, I want to make sure it is connecting properly and to the correct frequency that I want it to use). Additionally, shortly after first connection to my router I like to reserve a DHCP address for the device as a means to eliminate future conflicts where the router can give out connections as they are requested by devices (possibly different address each time a device connects). I leave no "open addresses" (unreserved), and have 5-guest addresses setup as dynamic assigns (un-reserved) for when folks visit (guest-privileges typically turned off unless I know folks will be in our environment with WiFi needs). This type of wireless address assignment plan has greatly decreased dropped/missed/non-working connections in our WiFi environment.

Example:
I believe that each time you shut off the screen on the Razr M, it shuts down the WiFi connection as power savings (unlike how 4G is always on). It could be that your phone gets dynamic address from router, and that when you turn the screen off and another device connects to your router - that the previously assigned address for the phone gets reassigned to a different device by your router ... and your phone needs to get a fresh dynamically assigned address resulting in a connectivity hiccup with your router? I had some issues like this a while back, before I started reserving addresses for all devices in our typical environment.

A secondary consideration on the Razr M is the fact that it supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi ... (has both WiFi built in). I purchased a dual-band Cisco Router (2.4/5GHz) specifically to open up additional WiFi bandwidth in our environment, and dual-band WiFi was a significant reason I choose the Razr M. If you are not specifically needing both 2.4 & 5GHz frequencies, I would suggest you simplify the phones duties and consider only having one on (reduce the variables that could be causing problems ...). For most folks, I would assume this to be 2.4GHz. If you are going to braodcast and run a dual-band wireless network, I would suggest that you name each band (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) differently, so as not to have confusion down the road (maybe the same pass-code, but for sure a different network-name).

Last edited:
OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
I was talking about initially connecting to it. It would not unless I did that. Now it connects every time. I put this out there in case others ran into the same problem.. Which I've seen posted on other sites.

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Daughter brought her new Samsung Galaxy SIII home and it connected to the WiFi with no problem. I guess the M is a bit picky.

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
This is interesting. Got a replacement M and it hooked up to the wireless router right away with no problem.

pdaniel219

Reaction score
My RAZR M is very picky about my WiFi. I have had to turn my router off and back on to get it to connect. Pretty irritating. My wifes, daughters and my 2 old phones connect without a problem. For the first time this evening I came home and it connected itself. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Spey

Reaction score
My Razr M is very non-picky (so long as setup correctly), and connects quickly and accurately to WiFi pretty much every time based on my user settings at the time.

By default, the M should be placing priority on WiFi, over Broadband (3G/4G) when both are turned on simultaneously. So, even if you leave your Broadband Data Radio turned on, at same time as WiFi, the phone should look for WiFi as a priority connection; but will need to find WiFi connection each time it's turned on. The other thing about the M is that 4G is Always On unless you manually turn it off (so even though the screen is turned off the 4G is still connected - this is not a M-thing, it's a 4G-thing - if you don't like this, then that's a separate issue to turn off 4G-LTE).

Why it's important to understand this, in my mind at least ...
Example: (relative unless you have user-elected to turn off the 4G-LTE radio)
You run your phone with 4G & WiFi Radios Turned ON (at the same time), and your phone priority connects to WiFi (over 3G/4G) as it should.
You press the power button turning off the screen (this turns off WiFi, and your phone auto switches to 4G & stays connected).
You press the power button turning on the screen (4G is still connected, and phone starts to look for WiFi and only if finds a good signal that it has been programmed to connect to will it connect). So, if 4G is on it stands to reason that the user should expect it to takes a little bit of time to find good WiFi and to decide to prioritize WiFi over the broadband-data connection.
Additionally, in the phone WiFi Settings is user program-ability to set the phone to attempt to connect to weak WiFi, or to ignore weak WiFi signals (so if you are in your house a little far away signal wise from your WiFi Router the phone may ignore (depending on your user WiFi Settings selected).

The above example may or may not be relative to why/how you are having some issues with WiFi Connectivity. If it is related, then in my mind the "problem" is more about the user understanding what's going on. Most likely, the issues you may be experiencing are related to you phones WiFi Settings, and/or the Setting on your Wireless Router. The M has been the most trouble free device I have used for WiFi & Broadband, it does what it does really well in my mind.

Last edited:

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Update! Went to the Verizon store and my phone connected to everything in there with no problem. Called my WiFi provider, and they had me go through the settings. Had me change it from WAP to WEP and it connected instantly. I thought it would be the other way around. To happy right now cause I really love thus phone.

buldog

Reaction score
Spey, I believe in the WiFi advanced settings there's a 'keep WiFi on' during sleep. I'm thinking this will keep from using 'data' from background apps when in sleep mode and also negate the reconnect lag of a 3g/4g to WiFi switch. Doesn't mean a lot, but might help with those having trouble reconnecting.

Last edited:

Spey

Reaction score
Update! Went to the Verizon store and my phone connected to everything in there with no problem. Called my WiFi provider, and they had me go through the settings. Had me change it from WAP to WEP and it connected instantly. I thought it would be the other way around. To happy right now cause I really love thus phone.

pdaniel219,
I would suggest that you research your issue for a better solution. WEP is like not even having security at all (cracked back in 2001, and pretty much any smart-phone today can crack it in minutes with free software).

WEP - unsecure and deprecated.
WPA - people know how to bypass it (LOTS OF PEOPLE).
WPA2- less people know how to bypass it.
WPA-PSK (Pre-shared key) mode.

I have been using WPA2 for a number of years now (2006/07). Suggest you specifically look into WPA-PSK (Pre-shared key) mode (means all devices connecting to your WiFi would use the same 256-bit key generated from a password or passphrase. Provided your WiFi Router supports this (mandatory for all device since 2006), the Razr M should work seamlessly.

Spey

Reaction score
Spey, I believe in the WiFi advanced settings there's a 'keep WiFi on' during sleep. I'm thinking this will keep from using 'data' from background apps when in sleep mode and also negate the reconnect lag of a 3g/4g to WiFi switch. Doesn't mean a lot, but might help with those having trouble reconnecting.

I think much simpler solution (what I have used since got the M), is
Quick Settings (slide Home Screen right one-screen)
WiFi ON / Mobile data OFF = When I want WiFi
Mobile data ON / WiFi OFF = When I want 3G/4G (only when I have no access to WiFi

Second potential solution:
Turn off 4G/LTE (4G/LTE is the crux of the issue here, in that it is on always)

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Spey - thanks for the tip! I think I'll have to upgrade my router in a month or so when I move. I'll admit that I'm just happy to have my phone connected right now. I was getting pretty irritated about it. My family just jumped onto shared data and I'm still a little nervous about it. I guess it's time to go router shopping!

Spey

Reaction score
Spey - thanks for the tip! I think I'll have to upgrade my router in a month or so when I move. I'll admit that I'm just happy to have my phone connected right now. I was getting pretty irritated about it. My family just jumped onto shared data and I'm still a little nervous about it. I guess it's time to go router shopping!

Recently switched the plan to family/share/data too (I was previous unlimited data for number of years, but finally caved in as more & more "smart" phones activated on our plan ...). There's a neat little feature I found on the RAZR M factory O/S (related to Data Usage) that allows user to set both warning limits and shut down (the data). So long as Data is ON, you can access and set the two limits (Warning & Shut Off Data).

Goto all settings / Settings / Data / Data usage / Set mobile data limit (check this)
Orange Vertical is "warning" (user adjustable)
RedVvertical is "limit" (user adjustable)
Two White Horizontal Bars (user adjustable - slide them inclusive date range to display Data Used below)
Data usage cycle (I set this to our Billing Cycle Dates)
Scroll the screen down - Displays what programs are using data and how much (during "Data usage cycle")

This is a control method for this one device (not the whole "family" usage), but could be configured on a device-by-device basis depending ...

Rule in our "family" data plan is YOU USE WiFi - unless emergency or by request for first month. I used this utility (as described) to monitor my own data usage, compared this to the "Plan Data Usage", then gradually allow others a bit more freedom to use 3G/4G with an understanding that if they abuse it they will be Cut Off! This utility does a pretty good job of illustrating data consumption hogs, then I can educate others in our plan/clan.

Also, suggest you contact your carrier directly and confirm the Data "Plan" Usage (Warning Email & Possible cutoff options). I have opted in to receive warning email/txt at various usage levels (this applies to the total usage on the plan, all devices), warnings are sent to me.

Provided we exceed plan and get billed additional, I expect to be able to hang Verizon & any responsible ...

Regards,

Spey

Reaction score

pdaniel219, "router shopping" :biggrin: > :frown: >> :biggrin:

If your router is more than a couple years old, there could be some Huge benefit here.
Consider - the RAZR M supports both 2.4GHz & 5GHz frequencies.
Couple months ago, I upgraded to a Dual Band WiFi Router (2.4/5GHz) with an internal directional antenna (supposedly focuses the signal in the direction of the connected devices - so auto-directional-antenna, so to speak).

WiFi 802.11n now running at 300Mbp/s (simultaneously on both bands) and,
my laptop connects via WiFi at 130Mbp/s,
LAN to computers at 1GBp/s via ethernet cable (includes media flat-screen, NAS, etc.)
RAZR M on 2.4Ghz connects at 19Mbp/s
RAZR M on 5GHz connects at 26-52Mbp/s
I can toggle back & forth (2.4/5GHz) on the RAZR M based on how many others on our network are connected at any given time, and/or what I'm connecting for WiFi for.
DLNA from RAZR M to Flat-Screen works nicely.

BTW, 5GHz may be faster (better speed) - but 2.4GHz is longer (better range)
Here is a link to help understand a little about why you might want one over the other, or both (like I mentioned above:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/5ghz-gear.htm

Last edited: