Wifi network connection makes unresponsive my phone...totally dead!!!

Aparicio

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Haier W861
Hello there, I have a weird issue with my phone, suddenly when I try to connect to a specific network using Wifi my phone gets blocked (Black screen) and is totally unresponsive, the only way to get back the phone to work is doing a full factory reset, This happens since yesterday afternoon when I get back to the office and tried to get connected to my office network, everything was working fine with my phone, no new apps installed recently, am on KitKat 4.4.2 and as I told you everything was fine till yesterday. I try to connect to my home wifi network and to other places, even public networks, and it works fine without problem, it seems is just with my office network but the IT group told me no changes was made in the network configuration since past 2 week.
Any sugestion, troubleshooting tips???
Thanks a lot

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've never heard of such an issue, especially when it comes to making a wifi connection. No real solutions other than, don't connect to your work's Wifi

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I don't even know what to say. This is a new one for me as well... There's either an issue with your work's network or an issue with how your phone tries to communicate with that network. What phone are you using? I didn't see that part mentioned anywhere. Does it have a removable battery? If so, have you tried pulling it out instead of doing a factory reset?

I'm with dezy. I'd definitely stay away from connecting to that network.

OP
A

Aparicio

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Haier W861
Yeah. I don't even know what to say. This is a new one for me as well... There's either an issue with your work's network or an issue with how your phone tries to communicate with that network. What phone are you using? I didn't see that part mentioned anywhere. Does it have a removable battery? If so, have you tried pulling it out instead of doing a factory reset?

I'm with dezy. I'd definitely stay away from connecting to that network.

Hi, thaks for your comments... actually am avoiding my office's network :( as a temp solution.

Answering your questions: there are no other issues with the office's network, everybody here get connected without problem (phones, tablest, laptops, etc), is an issue with my own phone, it is a chinese phone (Haier W861) and it has been working very good besides this "issue",it is running on KK 4.4.2...and yes, I removed the battery for a long time expecting it could solve the problem but nahhh!! he problem persists, just a factory reset resusites the phone... but once I try to get connected to the office's network introducing the password bammm!!! after 5-6 seconds the screen goes black and the phone gets unresponsive.....>>>factory reset >>>Restore backups >>> Phone comeback to work!!..... Any clue, suggestion besides stay away from the network or throw away the phone?... Thanks a lot for your cooperation and time :cool:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wonder if it's because it's a Chinese phone? No discrimination or racial bias intended, but perhaps it has something "open" in its protocol that the office IT system (router/switch), just doesn't like. Often when companies overseas creat products they try to avoid paying licensing fees for certain protocols in order to communicate. This most often happens with WIFI protocols. If the Chinese can create a hybrid or bootleg version of the protocol that "mostly" works, then they can sell phones cheaper and still make more money.

I had a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device that was built in China, and it would work fine as long as there were only 3 other devices on the network, but the moment a 5th device would connect, the entire network would crash. There was weeks where I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally I nailed down that the SAMBA protocol in the NAS was a bootleg version and wasn't compatible with the router.

Another possibility is that the phone's protocol is MORE compatible (less likely), and the router for the office system needs to be firmware updated. Ask your IT people when the last time was that they logged onto the router's website and downloaded the most recent firmware and flashed it. They might have NEVER done it and there could be significant improvement with a newer version of firmware. Less packets of data getting lost, less collisions and just better speed and performance. Also, it may suddenly work fine with your phone.