WiFi N

OZFive

Reaction score
I have recently come form a Moto Droid 1, have not really kept up wiht the Droid Inc news and information as I am attempting to do now.

I ran across an article that said that the Droid Inc was going to be updated to Wifi N and there is a hack out there that does this as well. The articles were dated back in June.

Did the update from HTC enabling Wifi N ever happen?

Do any Incredible ROM's install/enable Wifi N?

Has anyone doen the hack that enables WiFi N on your own? Is there a simpler way?

Thanks!

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but going to 5G is a hardware upgrade first... something firmware or software can't do until you first have the hardware.

I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

I would think an altogether different frequency with different wavelengths and antennas would not work on 2.4 hardware, "unless" forethought was already factored in to be upgradable to 5g back when it was originally released.

That type of "forethought" is a bit rare!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
802.11N is a hardware upgrade, where did you read this? I'm gonna call BS....

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've got a wireless N router my Droid 1 connects too just fine...so I think the Inc would as well, since its a newer phone.

Sent from somewhere...

windstrings

Reaction score
I've got a wireless N router my Droid 1 connects too just fine...so I think the Inc would as well, since its a newer phone.

Sent from somewhere...

I have a wireless "N" router too but its dual band and my phone connects on the 2.4g frequency which is "802.11g".

"N" can be confusing.

802.11n is a recent amendment which improves upon the previous 802.11 standards by adding multiple-input multiple-output antennas (MIMO). 802.11n operates on both the 2.4GHz and the lesser used 5 GHz bands.

I guess the real question is "can the droid utilize the multiple input output antennas?....
My router has 8 internal antennas... I doubt the droid is utilizing that technology.. but I could be wrong.

I just don't know enough about the requirements to tell.

OP
O

OZFive

Reaction score
802.11N is a hardware upgrade, where did you read this? I'm gonna call BS....

Where did I read this? Oh some small unknown places like Boy Genius Report or the XDA Forums...

You know I was going to go through and post a whole bunch of links, but I thought just having these two would bring credibility to this....

HTC DROID Incredible to be updated to Froyo end of July, early August | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Howto: enable 11n on HTC Incredible - xda-developers

It appears from the response that this update never got launched from HTC officially.

Which also makes me less hopeful for the next part, do any ROM's or Kernel's bake this in?