WiFi.. it's cost

vzwtek

Reaction score
they wont charge extra for now....but when they see your usage they will get ya. dont thik they dont track your data usage.

Actually, they dont really care so long as you are paying that 30 bucks. They will start monitoring it if you are going above a certain usage level for the mere fact they are afraid if the big ol' "Illegal Download" word. Thats when they care. Or if you are single handedly using more resources than other people on a specific carrier in the switch. Thats when i certain people called, and you get a nasty-gram.

So if you just use it for your home network, or use it as internet to stream video, music, whatever, Don't really care.

Edit#1: OH, and keep in mind, if VZ-dub goes to tiered data pricing, then they will care as well. Because you will be using resources that other suckers are gonna pay double for.

Last edited:

Humpa

Reaction score
One way to see that Verizon doesn't go after the tetherers is to look for all the posts on all the various forums that say "Verizon charged me for tethering", or something similar.
See all those posts? Me neither. ;)

Now, once the tiered data pricing starts, all bets are off (like vzwtek just mentioned). But that's just because they won't have to monitor for tethering since they're just monitoring total data, so everything will be included.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Has anyone else been mislead?

Nick

Damn !! They told you it was free? That is misleading.

They said I had it...like I had it... cost wasn't mentioned.

As far as I know tethering to other devices always tends to cost something and isn't given away for free. I'm not talking about rooting a device, I'm talking about legitimate services phone/internet companies offer.

Last time I got a car they said it would take me places. The price of gas wasn't mentioned, nor the price of gas going up and up and up either.

I agree the rep should have said "your phone can be used as a hotspot for X/month" and not just said "your phone can be used as a hotspot".

MichaelW

Reaction score
I really hate to see this kind of stuff. I am not surprised though.

I saw that WiFi was additional charges searching the Verizon website. Pretty ridiculous in my books but hey it's their network.

It is however sad that a person cannot be honest anymore without grabbing your ankles.

I am thankful that I don't even have many WiFi spots where I use my phone. I'd be tempted to figure it out.

If an average user purchased everything for their Droid X it would be how much a month? $100 or more per line. That's what I call highway robbery.
It is a freaking phone for petes sake.

Humpa

Reaction score
People surprised by sales tactics? Hmmm, that wasn't even a lie by the sales guy, just a normal sales practice of saying as little as possible about the downside (ie, cost).
New to capitalism, perhaps? ;)

Not that I don't feel for the OP, but it has been buyer beware for a lot longer than Big Red has been around.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went to the verizon store recently and the sales guy did the same thing to me. I knew about the 20 dollar charge and he failed to mention it.

The same guy also said that google voice is not a sanctioned app and that vz could charge for text messages one day so beware. I rolled my eyes. What are they going to charge per email next?

vzwtek

Reaction score
People surprised by sales tactics? Hmmm, that wasn't even a lie by the sales guy, just a normal sales practice of saying as little as possible about the downside (ie, cost).
New to capitalism, perhaps? ;)

Not that I don't feel for the OP, but it has been buyer beware for a lot longer than Big Red has been around.

Lol, buyer beware since Sears has been around, especially when they used to sell Heroin kits for flu back in the 1900's. ROFL

All I gotta say is don't be angry at a company for misinformed, un-educated sales staff. I have to fix alot of stuff every day that could have been taken care of at the POS with a simple question. And I dont even get a chance to eduate who made the mistake!!!!! But that keeps me a job, so I'm not telling anyone, lol.

And I feel bad for sales reps, I worked commision for a few years, its a rough road, cant hate them for trying to make a few bucks...... or can I? Love hate relationship with human service, lol.

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Try this....works great for me and you dont need root.
1. Make phone discoverable

2. Open bluetooth devices in windows -> Add a device.

3. click on the phone that pops up.

4. click ok that the PIN numbers match.

5. Give it a minute to install the drivers, Don't worry if there's still an exclamation point in a triangle. It will still work.

6. Right click on the phone in the windows BT devices panel.

7. Select Connect as -> Access Point.

8. You are now online.
user_offline.gif

what if nothing pops up in the window under devices?

Immolate

Reaction score
You can use your phone as a tether in one of two ways.

1) If you haven't rooted your phone, get PDANet ($30) or Easy Tether ($10) and use them, along with your USB cable, to make your phone into a broadband modem for your computer.

2) If your phone is rooted, get Wireless Tether (Free) and use your phone as a wireless tether. This is not the same as Verizon's Mobile Hotspot, because you cannot share with others using Wireless Tether. Mobile Hotspot allows up to 5 others to use you phone as a wireless router, and that costs $20/month.

sic0048

Reaction score
When I got my X the guys at Verizon said I could use it as a HotSpot. Well, today I found out you have sign up and pay for the service for you X to be used as a HopSpot.
Has anyone else been mislead?
Nick

I really hate to see this kind of stuff. I am not surprised though.

I saw that WiFi was additional charges searching the Verizon website. Pretty ridiculous in my books but hey it's their network.

It is however sad that a person cannot be honest anymore without grabbing your ankles.

I am thankful that I don't even have many WiFi spots where I use my phone. I'd be tempted to figure it out.

If an average user purchased everything for their Droid X it would be how much a month? $100 or more per line. That's what I call highway robbery.
It is a freaking phone for petes sake.

I just want to make sure they two of you understand that using WIFI access with your DroidX is completely free.

This has nothing to do with the Hotspot application that Verizon has. The Hotspot application allows your phone to act as a mobile wireless hotspot by utilizing the Verizon 3g network. This allows other users to connect to your phone and use your 3g data access. To turn on this feature, you must sign up for the mobile hotspot plan and pay an additional $20 per month (for 2gb of tethered shared data).

This is also independant of your normal $29.99 unlimited data plan. You can use the 3g data service on your phone and rack up as much data usage without any additional fees (ie no $20 charge).

Again, the Mobile Hotspot application and $20 monthly fee IS NOT the same as using a regular wireless access point.

It seems to me that you guys are confusing wireless internet access (which is free) and the Mobile Hotspot Application (which costs $20/mo).

Eolly

Reaction score
You can use your phone as a tether in one of two ways.

1) If you haven't rooted your phone, get PDANet ($30) or Easy Tether ($10) and use them, along with your USB cable, to make your phone into a broadband modem for your computer.

2) If your phone is rooted, get Wireless Tether (Free) and use your phone as a wireless tether. This is not the same as Verizon's Mobile Hotspot, because you cannot share with others using Wireless Tether. Mobile Hotspot allows up to 5 others to use you phone as a wireless router, and that costs $20/month.
So by rooting my phone and installing wireless tether I cant allow my friends to use my phone as a wifi router?

I think your mistaken. I have used it to connect my laptop and a buddies.

Reaction score
I have used it to connect my laptop and a buddies.

I've had two laptops sharing the connection from Wireless Tether as well with no issues, and I'd suppose I could have more. I haven't researched it but I'll bet the answer is already out there as to how many can share it; regardless, though, it's greater than or equal to two :p

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sucks they didn't mention it costs money. Either they meant to mislead you or they were ignorant. Either one of those possibilities are probable.

Yeah, when I had my Voyager the data plan was $15/mo. I wanted to add FLO TV, which was also $15/mo. They had another data plan for $25/mo that included FLO TV. I asked if I added FLO TV would the change to the other data plan be automatic. They said yes, but it wasn't true. Customer Service took care of it, but I would've liked to have known beforehand.