WiFi issues with ROOTED Froyo. Droid 1

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broadcasting my SSID "fixed" it for me on 2.2 as well. It just acts like 2.1/2.0.1 now... which is at least better than 2.2 which showed nothing.

I wonder what would happen if I flashed back to 2.1 with the broadcasted ID...

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Broadcasting my SSID "fixed" it for me on 2.2 as well. It just acts like 2.1/2.0.1 now... which is at least better than 2.2 which showed nothing.

I wonder what would happen if I flashed back to 2.1 with the broadcasted ID...

Mine started working today. Since I installed a new 2.2 ROM thought the rom was to blame. But it turns out I left the SSID broadcast turned on. So like the rest it will show the REAL signal. But like others will not update unless pinged by the settings menu or a wifi app.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Today while using WiFI and watching YouTube using the built in player. Good STRONG WiFi signal my connection keeps dropping. I know my ISP or modem/router isn't to blame. WiFi chip in the phone?

I get message "Sorry, this video cannot be played. There was a problem while playing."

This can happen 1 min in or 1 second in. I don't know what the cause might be.
The playback is in the built in buffer. So loss of internet may not be an issue.

Metalunna

Reaction score
I'm still on stock FRG01B and I've noticed that my Wifi drops all the time in my house. It's random too..ie:

Ill wake my phone up and I cant get to sites or I'll be using it just fine, and then when I try to load up a site, it'll just drop out.

I have to turn off my wifi and then turn it back on again.

I still have my wifi SSID "NOT" broadcasting. I'm just too lazy to try and troubleshoot further. I have more boring things to do.
I'm happy I was just able to track down the "Poor" signal issue.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
By the way...My phone was working fine before the FRG01B update.
Have you tried reinstalling the update manually? The larger file from the circus thread has fixed most phones that have had issues after the udgrade. Also, the FRG22D update is available for download and it includes updated WiFi and GPS drivers as well as the patch to allow stock users to see Flash in the market.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
By the way...My phone was working fine before the FRG01B update.
Have you tried reinstalling the update manually? The larger file from the circus thread has fixed most phones that have had issues after the udgrade. Also, the FRG22D update is available for download and it includes updated WiFi and GPS drivers as well as the patch to allow stock users to see Flash in the market.

I'll chime in on this one. I can't get the update for several reasons.

1: I'm running a custom rom.

2: I'm rooted. It would break root and execute the FRS. That we've all read about.

Metalunna

Reaction score
Yeah..I tried a 2nd install (using the larger file). My first install was the large file too (different download sites).

I think I'm going to stay away from doing any further manual installs. I'll just wait for the OTA, this way I can mumble and groan and blame Verizon.

Actually, I just don't like the idea about how these updates appear on sites (even if it is Google's) and we take them for the "Actual" files.

Case in point is that we have so many "UPDATE AVAILABLE" threads. A scary one is the header with "Circus" in it.

That should be a tip off right there.

I love trying stuff out on my electronics (ie. modding and different firmware updates). In fact, I think I've modded or updated the firmware with an "unofficial" Firmware on the majority of my toys...but since my phone is my new "lifelink" I just want it to work all of the time. I also, just don't have the time to fart around anymore.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
This MAY not be a WiFi issue. But a internal YouTube player issue. When I "minimize" the app and return and try to restart playback it locks up and says the usual wait, FC, report options. I wait and it responds. For what's it;s worth I used a script app in the Kangerade system to always free up 75Mb. Since the Pictures gallery seemed to always take a while to load.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The FRG22D update supposedly had some new wifi drivers. I don't know if that had an effect or not (or if that's true), but since the FRG22D update, combined with having my SSID broadcast (I haven't tried hiding it again since FRG22D), my wifi has been working as it should. It doesn't update as often as it changes within the settings, but it DOES change on its own in the notification bar.

And just to clarify exactly how I'm setup, I got the FRG01B update OTA, then applied the FRG22D file from google's servers from the "update" thread on this site. Then rooted using Motocache's method. So, basically, pure stock, with root.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
The FRG22D update supposedly had some new wifi drivers. I don't know if that had an effect or not (or if that's true), but since the FRG22D update, combined with having my SSID broadcast (I haven't tried hiding it again since FRG22D), my wifi has been working as it should. It doesn't update as often as it changes within the settings, but it DOES change on its own in the notification bar.

And just to clarify exactly how I'm setup, I got the FRG01B update OTA, then applied the FRG22D file from google's servers from the "update" thread on this site. Then rooted using Motocache's method. So, basically, pure stock, with root.
Since I'm now running a rom I can't apply the patch. I also have my SSID broadcast on. It made a HUGE improvement on the wifi status and signal levels. May have been a server issue with YouTube. Don't know. I do want to get the patch but will have to wait til Jrummy realeases a fix for Kangerade 5.0.9 Froyo.