Wifi Issues - resolved using TKIP only

somegeek

Reaction score
I had the wifi dropping issue and after all the reading and tweaking and trying apps, changing the encryption on my router's wireless setting to TKIP only and my phone to static IP use fixed my issue. I got rid of all the apps minus Wifi Static.

Phone - DroidX running 2.2 - owned less than a week
Settings -> Wireless -> Wifi settings -> Menu -> advanced - unchecked 'Enable Auto IP' - set 'Use static IP' - manage IPs using Wifi Static

----------------
Router - Linksys WRT54G
Mode - G only
SSID broadcast - enabled
Security - WPA2 Personal
Encryption - TKIP
Key - 63 character

The following shouldn't matter, but here's the settings:
Wireless Filtering - enabled
Statically assigned DHCP by MAC - enabled

Both AES and AES/TKIP modes had issues where I needed to toggle wifi on my phone to get it reconnect after setting my phone down for 20 minutes
or so. Ever since forcing encryption to TKIP only last night and using a static IP, my connection has not dropped. This is what worked for me at least. Solid for 12 hours now - time will verify this.

There are a lot of threads out there ongoing regarding this issue however they're still ongoing so I figured this post could help vs being redundant. :)

somegeek

OP
S

somegeek

Reaction score
Circling back on this...

My wifi connection has been pretty solid cept what appears to be the occasional sleep or disconnect(once a day or so). My sleep settings only allow data to turn off from midnight to 530am. I installed wifi fixer to keep it up during the day just in case.

I heard that Verizon will fix the wifi issue in the 2.2.1 release. Looking forward to that update and going back to just using stock settings for a solid wifi connection.

OP
S

somegeek

Reaction score
Uninstalled wifi fixer since 2.2.1 since my DroidX has been pretty solid and I've been running Auto WiFi Toggle which works well to bring up my wifi connection automatically when in range(and disable when out of range) cept once in a while, the wifi would be up but nothing would go through. Sounds like this app will do the trick in that case - WiFi Reassociate. By default it will ping your gateway IP once per minute, if it fails, it will force a wifi reassociate to get the data moving again. You can tweak this interval as well as well as what host it will ping.

Hopefully my wifi will be solid now.

somegeek